• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BAYTRILL Billy ...

Bunnysam

Alpha Buck
... and Metacam too ...

In December Billy's guts stopped moving and he was put on Baytrill and metacam. I remember the day because it was the day of my Christmas party and I had to administer drugs the next day with the most vicious hangover and trying to hold a struggling bunny down after just 3 hours sleep and the room still spinning was NOT GOOD FUN.

Anyway I awoke this morning to let them both out at 6am and Billy was hunched in the corner looking quiet. Not like him at all. He had also wee'd in the corner. Again not like him, they both always use the litter tray. He wouldn't eat and I just knew he was ill again. I syringed some baytrill and metacam (pain relief) into him and also syringed down him quite a lot of that recovery green stuff (sachets that you get from the vets) before going to work rather late and rather worried. (My bf was summoned over to look out for him).

I spoke to the vet and she said I had done the right thing but if this keeps happening they would need to do blood tests and maybe an X-ray.

Has anyone else experienced this with their bunny(ies)?

Thank you Marlene and Rallybunny :)

I remember reading about Evo and thinking it was similar.

It is very worrying isn't it.

I have been on the phone to home constantly all day and at the moment they are snuggled up together under the radiator :)

Let me know Rallybunny what your findings are re Evo and I will keep you informed about little Bilsbury .. x

Hi Sam

Sorry Billy isn't well

Just wondering is he's pooing at all. Metacam and Baytril are great for pain relief and if they are unwell, but if his guts have stopped moving he might need something to stimulate movement again i.e metaclopramide, or prepulsid (not sure if prepulsid is available at all now - I've still got a couple of the tablet version),

One thing, have you considered the wee in the corner isnt his?
If you saw the little monkey do it stop reading now...but if the other bun knows he's ill she could have wee'd on him. Sounds bizaare but thats what some do, i think its like dominating them when they know the others weak.

Hello guys thanks for all your help.

No I know it was Billy because I saw him doing it and also when he ran out and slouched in the corner of my bedroom (very unusual) I picked him up and he had done a little wee on the carpet. This happened when he had this before (wee on the carpet).

When I got home from work last night Billy was still very "monged" and lying by himself, although Steve had said they were lying together during the day. We gave him some more rescue stuff by syringe and also syringed some water down him. When we went to bed I grated some carrot and separated them both.

This morning he seemed to be himself by running about. He had poo'd in his cage (more squiggy than normal) and had eaten most of the carrot and had a little drink. So I was happy. But when I put down their plate of greens he turned his nose up and went and lay out longways (a good sign though) so we gave him some more syringing of rescue stuff and also some more baytrill and metacam. Steve is watching him as we speak.

:roll:

PS LYNN - that was what I was initially worried about ie lack of poo but when I saw quite a bit in his cage this morning I was relieved. Hopefully he will start eating normally if not I will take him to the vets but honestly he LOOKS so much better today. He is running up and down the stairs - good sign :)

Totti had 2 bouts of gut statis last year and had series of injections for it. Whilst at Adeles' bunny boot camp, Adele gave him the once over and recommended less veggies and more hay... he was having a carrot a day. I have since found hay he loves, reduced his pellets and only give him bits of carrot as a treat and touch wood, his "movements" have been fine ever since. Good luck, I know how worried you must feel.

Hi Luvabun what hay do you use?

I sometimes get that Oxbow timothy hay when I am feeling generous as its quite expensive. Maybe I should just get that all the time.

Thank you everybody for helping me x

Bunnysam said:
Hi Luvabun what hay do you use?

I sometimes get that Oxbow timothy hay when I am feeling generous as its quite expensive. Maybe I should just get that all the time.
x

Yes thats the only hay my fussy little mites would eat until I got the organic hay from the farm that Caz put me on to. Too far for you though as its near Basingstoke but its £3 for a bale which is huge. I got 2 balesand filled 9 black bin liners with it!!!! So may be worth looking for a farm near you.

Hi Beck!

Thank you for your message. Billy is back to his normal crazy self again and back to chasing little Rosie around the dining table in hot pursuit :D I am very pleased that he is better.

I bought them some Oxbow timothy hay for them at the weekend which they love.

x

Hi Michele

I thought that at first but it was exactly the same symptons as he had before when his guts stopped moving so I just assumed it was that same problem again. However if he suffers from this again I am going to have to get some blood taken and/or an x-ray to try and get to the bottom of it.

Thank you :)

Back