• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever done the two buns in a box trick?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

Has anyone ever taken out two unfriendly rabbits out in a box for a drive in the car together. I have heard that this is a very effective way of bonding, but I am reluctant to do it in case they fight in the box, although I have also heard this is impossible. I would love to hear someone's experience of it?

We did it with four bunnies, but loose in the boot rather than in a carry case. You try fitting four angry rabbits in one carry case. It did work though. We emptied out the boot, and I sat in the back seat to keep an eye on them. Andi drove slowly round to his mum's house, about 5 mins away, and we dumped them all out in the run. They interacted much better in the run after the drive together than when we'd taken them over in separate carry cases. Then we drove them back in the same way. It was ages before we could put them all together in the house though. Even after a really good play session in the run, they would fight when they got home again.

They don't do much in the boot, just huddled together. They weren't so scared that they thumped and barked, just unnerved enough that they forgot to fight.

Cool think I may try that then with Bea and Maisie, I have to put them in a carrier though as I have a convertible and there isn't any boot space, but the carrier is plenty big for two as it's large enough for a dog. I'm just slightly worried that they will fight and there is nothing I can do about it, I don't want any severed ears.

I am going to try the bath trick tonight with Marley and Maisie.

We didn't have much luck with the bath tub. They all just kept skidding about and Chips kept escaping. It was pretty funny to watch, but not really much use in bonding.

Hmmm,

May have to do the car one with all of them but take two at a time, need to get the two bonded pairs, bonded and let them Bob and Maisie have the freedom of the house with Bea and Marls.

I wouldn't try it on your own. You really need a second person there, you don't want to end up distracted and having an accident :)

Tam

Ive done it, it fixed my bunnies marital probs. Put one bunny in a carry box and the other one the backseat with one human in the back for safety purposes. Then drive for twenty mins letting the boxed bunny out on the seat. At first one bunny used to jump on my lap but place the spare carry case on your lap to stop that happening. Basically the bunnies hug together for the ride and after a few days of this immediately when u get them home put them together for a bonding session in a neutral place.
It really can work.

Back