• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mommy, we're bored!

Well, the girls are definitely hormonal and seem to be very bored.

I'm going to be building a huge new cage for them this weekend, but until then, want to keep them occupied as they're sitting around moodily at the moment.

Does anyone know any cheap DIY toys for them? I've got the usual cardboard boxes (big success) and jingly cat toys (not a success), plus a tube, but are there any other fun, easily made/accessible toys I can give them to bust their boredom with, that actually WORK?!?

Wicker baskets work for my lot. They're not homemade, but I did get a nested set of four for a fiver from, I think, Homebase. They're just plain untreated wicker and the little devils descend on them until they're lying in pieces on the floor. I wouldn't recommend them for a recently spayed bunny as they do produce some quite sharp sticks once they've been munched on. But if either of your bunnies is a chewer, they should go down well.

Other than that you could try hiding their food. Make them work for it. Two or three nested boxes with holes cut on different sides and gaps between them just big enough for a bunny to squeeze through. Works like a maze and will take them a lot longer to figure out than a shop bought weeble.

That's such a great idea, thank you!

I want some wicker baskets, but haven't found good ones anywhere. Not sure where my nearest Homebase is...hmmm.

They're not really chewers, although yesterday and today the toilet rolls I give them have been chewed on quite a bit.

I can't wait till they can go in for their ops. They need to be speyed now, they're getting hormonal. I'm worried as every bunny mommy is, but I know it'll be so much better for them!

How about suspending their veg and fruit on string tied to the roof of wire mess of their hutch/pen.

mine also love things like babies rattles from car boots charity shops very cheap and flower pots are a must.

I was planning to pick up some flower pots when I'm at B&Q, hopefully tomorrow. How do you guys secure them sothat they don't roll about and kill one of them?!

The little plastic flower pots are brill, mine love throwing them about!! Also with the toilet rolls, I stuff them with hay and veg or treats so they have to work to get it out, keeps them amused for ages!!

How about a dog bed or basket with something to dig in? Doesn't have to be messy, shredded paper or something like that (easy to tidy!) and put some veg or something in for them to find.

I also use cat toys (obv not a success with your guys tho!). Oooh and a brill idea my friend at work had, get a Pringles tube, cut small holes in then fill with their dry food, they have to roll it to get the food out. DIY treat ball!! I have also got the cat treat balls from P@H, £1.99 for pack of two, mine go crackers for them!!!

If I think of anything else I'll post on here!! Mine tend to keep themselves amused as I let them out in our garden so they have fun digging and hiding etc oh and climbing onto the top of piles of twigs!lol

Nicola

Yea, I put hay in their toilet rolls, but they pull it out and distribute it messily within seconds! No fun! *sigh* No pleasing some!

I've got a treat ball, but haven't put their food in it before. I'm currently mixing Excel and SS at the moment, so the holes wouldn't be the right size...hmmmm...might buy some Pringles as an excuse! :D:D:D

I'll hang up a carrot from the dangly rabbit toy tonight. If I can find it... :shock:

Thanks for all the great ideas! I might make some/get some and keep them at work as well!

Mine love playing with towels, if you drape a big one over a chair or similar to make a tunnel! They also love to nibble magasines, but only if I'm trying to read it at the time! :lol:

Sugar has a thing for a plastic flower pot :oops: I have brought all sorts of toys like those flip and toss's but she doesn't play with just this flower pot!! i don't know where it came from but she is always tossing that about or rolling it!!! Misty like balls (Footballs, tennis balls :oops: ) or anything that rattles!!

Darcy loves thick magazines to rip to pieces - keeps him entertained for ages!! tWooden parrot toys are great. Toilet roll tubes

ditto phone books, or any book that you leave on the floor by accident...... Ikea also do wicker type balls for about a quid each, which last a suprising amount of time.

I can't seem to find the non-motorway route to Ikea...I know it exists coz I took it by accident with a friend once, but... :oops:

Xena can't hear the rattling so doesn't give a hoot, and Binky's just not interested...booooring! lol

They've only just gotten into chewing on toilet roll thingies, so that's useful! I'd give them a phone book but it's a communal house one, so I think I'd make a few enemies with that! :lol:

Still feeling too lousy to leave the house today, will hunt around a bit at the local shops, but will leave the big outing until Saturday, when I'll (hopefully) be feeling better.......

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back