• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question for rex bunny owners

Marigold

Warren Scout
What do you use to groom your bunnies with?
My comb (its got a plastic yellow handle and two widths of metal teeth) doesn't do anything to Timothys coat! The only way I can get loose hair out is to pull the sticky out bits - very satisfying, but time consuming!!

I was recommended to get one of these grooming mitts which I have bought for Beau but I haven't used it yet, otherwise, I have also read that you dampen your hand down and use that.
It is going to be fun learning how to look after out news buns isn't it :lol: :lol:

:oops: I haven't attempted to groom my rexes yet! Zeus is going through a moult and pulling out his clumps seems to have taken up all my grooming time recently.

I have a soft nylon bristle brush I think will work quite well on their hair - it couldn't cope with Zeus' hair :lol: - had to get a cat moulting comb for that!

Caz

Yes it is fun!!
I'll stick to plucking the poor bunny for now!!! Cos he's so velvety and soft its addictive to remove all the bits that stick out.
Poor bunny he must think he's ended up with a mad mummy! Flopsy has got used to it - she's got some bits on her hind feet that I want to get at!
Sorry I'm completely insane if the people in my office knew I was chatting online about pulling loose bunny fur out thay'd have me put away!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can, try giving the bun a gentle massage. They have to learn to get used to it but it means they get a good rub down and if you use damp hands, you get loads of loose fur out. It all comes out in big clumps cos of the rubbing action which makes it a lot easier to clean up afterwards too. If I knew how to upload a video I would cos I've got one of Smokey (chin rex) getting a massage and he loved it. He also used to get what I call 'paint brushes' coming out from around his face. I still have several of those in a little keepsake box :oops:

when i take my buns to show this is what i do then i groom them:
i get one of these flea combs and comb the between legs tummies and back ends then i get some whitch hazel and rub it into my hands the rub from back end to top of bun which they find relaxing and thats about it
becky

Back