• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Salt

Hiya,

I don't know if you have to, but I leave mineral lick for my buns to lick. However they do just use it as a chucking toy :roll: .

Hiya , this is certainly not a dumb question, but I cannot guarantee not to give you a dumb answer :shock :lol: :lol: : but I will do my best :wink:

We have never used salt licks for any of our 500 rabbits over the years and they have been fit, healthy and lively!!. :D :D

I think if you wish to give access to a salt lick for your bunny there is no harm in that, as it does encourage the bunnies to drink more water, but on the other hand so does adding a teaspoon of unsweetened apple juice in their water!.

Does that help, or hinder ?? :oops: :lol: :lol:

Marigold said:
if they feel the need for salt with their veges, they can have it :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hey what about the PEPPER for their veggies too?? :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:(Only teasing folks we all know NOT to give bunnies pepper dont we :D dont we ??? :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: )

Adele said:
I think if you wish to give access to a salt lick for your bunny there is no harm in that, as it does encourage the bunnies to drink more water, but on the other hand so does adding a teaspoon of unsweetened apple juice in their water!.
:

Another handy tip :D goes off to write it down in note book :wink: just 1 question Adele, how often would you add unsweetened apple juice :?:

Hiya Denny,
:D :D We add a teaspoon a day for the bunnies who are really bad at drinking enough water.
The good water drinkers(!) only have a teaspoon a day during the peak Summer months to ensure they increase their fluid intake in hot weather.

Adele said:
Hiya Denny,
:D :D We add a teaspoon a day for the bunnies who are really bad at drinking enough water.
The good water drinkers(!) only have a teaspoon a day during the peak Summer months to ensure they increase their fluid intake in hot weather.

Thanks Adele :D perhaps you could add this to the sticky :wink:

So when the weather is hotter and the bunnies should be drinking more..... how do you tell if you have a dehydrated bunny?

I can't imagine my two ever not drinking enough they have the longest drinks and biggest wees ever!!!

Marigold said:
So when the weather is hotter and the bunnies should be drinking more..... how do you tell if you have a dehydrated bunny?

I can't imagine my two ever not drinking enough they have the longest drinks and biggest wees ever!!!

I am not really sure how you can tell if your bunny is dehydrated :? but I am sure someone will be able to answer this, but I would assume that the bunny that does'nt drink much water, the apple juice would entice them to drink more :wink: The good drinkers would just need to drink that little be more than usual to make sure they dont become dehydrated :)

Hope that makes sense :?

Hi
I gave Simba a salt lick and he went mad for it for a few months, licking it loads... however recently he seems to be ignoring it.. so i dunno. Maybe i'll try the apple juice thing.. he likes apples to eat so im sure he will like that. He does seem to be drinking more recently but he only gets through about 50mls a day and thats at the most!

A good way to test if a rabbit is dehydrated is to lift its fur on the nape of the neck..release the fur and if it falls back to the neck quickly the rabbit is hydrated, but if it falls back slowly the rabbit could be dehydrated and require urgent medical care :D

I have salt licks in both rabbit hutches Sugar goes through them in no time but misty bites through the plastic bit that holds it so it ends up on the floor!!!

Pesonaly I dont think Rabbts need salt licks. There just a way for pet shops to make more money.

Rabbits get enough nutrients from there pellets and greens/veg.

Louise

Pesonaly I dont think Rabbts need salt licks. There just a way for pet shops to make more money.
Thats why I asked really - they sell everything for bunnies; some of which all of us (I hope!!) would never give our bunnies (like cheese flavoured treats?!????) some of which, like salt/mineral blocks, I wondered if were of some use?

Back