• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nuts

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
I collected my new bun on Saturday and asked for some of his current food so I could gradually swap him over to Science Selective that mine have. His current food looks like a very fancy mix with dried fruit etc. but it has nuts in - I don't recall ever seeing a bunny mix with nuts in nor have I heard them mentioned on here as suitable for buns.
Does anyone know whether he should be having nuts?

I thought that they contained a lot of fat, so dont give them to Mikey. Perhaps someone with more knowledge might be able to tell you

Sounds like hamster food :shock: !!!! I think rabbits can eat nuts but they are really fatty (Correct me if i'm wrong) :shock: So i dont give any of mine nuts

It is not hamster food as there are no sunflower seeds in it although the thought did cross my mind - there is the usual squashed peas and corn, some seeds, dried fruit and some other peculiar bits that look like mini rice cakes plus peanuts - I have never seen mix like this before. I think I will try and get him off this stuff sooner rather than later.

Mine have the odd peanut (not the salted variety) now and again as a treat and they go crazy for them.......I was putting some out for the birds yesterday and roo could obviously smell them on my hands when I went to pick him up as he was rooting around looking for them and licking my hand.

I think the odd peanut now and again is no harm but probarbly not good to be part of their daily diet in their mix, as I think they would be fattening.

Maybe you could try and pick out some of the nuts in the food if there are a lot of them until you transfer your bunny onto the science selective.

Hope this helps

They can have the odd nut but they are not good for them, i have a pair of rabbits that come to me for boarding and they get a walnut and a raison every day lol. val

Back