• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do stop a bun chew the house the bits

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
kymber is chewing everything from wires to carpet to the door dtop to the radiator??? i fear that i wont have a house left soon!!!!!!!!!

help pleaseeeeeeee!!

do they do rabbit mussells?

:D bunny toys!!

hay in a toilet roll, box taped up with hay or treats inside 8) , pine cones to chew seagrass mats to destroy :wink: cat and baby toys to play with

I hope some of these help :)

bronie

Those seagrass mats are a great distraction, although they are soon destroyed (and make a mess) they are cheap.

http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/willow.htm

I cover corners with a square of carpet, olbus oil works for me but not everyone.
The thing is to get in there and distract before the chewing starts!
Blueberry has learnt the word NO :lol: she'll only stop for a sec, but gives me time to offer something else.

When Evo used to be really naughty with chewing, I used to put the cardboard fruit crates in front or on his worst trouble spots. The cardboard is quite strong so it takes a while to destroy, and until the bottom of the box is broken, most of the mess is contained inside the crate.

Like this....

Image121.jpg

Oh boy, I was worried about this! I tried to tell you how bad he was!!!!!!!

I really don't know what to suggest. Maybe have a look at his teeth? I didn't have the heart to stress him out, but maybe they're hurting?

Hi
Mine used to chew everything in site too! I shout no at him, clap my hands or make a noise that gets his attention too if he ignores me! He has learnt not to now and rarely chews anything.
How old is Kymber?
I did buy some anti-chew spray from pets at home, it smells like citronella.. and i dont know if that really did the trick or not. I gave him toys and hay etc etc but he usually ignores them. I used to put them all in teh kitchen where he spent most of the time playing/eating but now i have put toys and food around the areas he chewed most so he isnt tempted by curtains and carpets anymore, just the odd wire!
I hope you stop him soon.
Some say Dove soap works well too.

From what the owners told me, he's less than a year old. I don't know exactly how old he is, they never did say.

I think this is why the last owners rehomed him, and just didn't tell the truth. They briefly mentioned him chewing on skirting boards, but nothing else. I found the story a little "off", and I think this was the real reason.

hes fine eating has been sorted i have given him ss and he loves it, i think he was on the wrong food with that excell as its for infants and he aint. hes drinking well and is not to bad with the pooing hes using the litter tray mostly..... he is chinning loads at the moment and is very good its just this chewing i think i am going to take his teeth out or get a muzzel

no not really :lol: but he is driving me mad with it, its like having a baby got to watch him all the time. his has already done my main phone line so have no phone, and my new rocawear bag, not happy.. hes even trying to make holes in the rad pipes and if he manages it i will kill him!!!! :lol:

but i am going to let the six weeks quarenteen pass and then hes out and can chew the garden to his hearts content,,,, i have 9 other buns and he is the only one to do this so i am not sure of how to make him stop.... i believe he will be better of out side when he is used to the other buns as he will be round his own kind and have much more excersise!!!!

Rabbits love to eat cables :?

I have lost many, phone cables, modem cables, network cables, expesive laplink cables, power cables, speaker cables .......... most of these I lost before I even kept house rabbits as the outdoor rabbits used to dodge into the house whenever the back door was open. They loved the Big Burrow - probably because of the tasty cables :twisted:

You have to get cables out of their reach, you can not teach them not to do it :( This is why my house rabbits are kept out of the living room and the boys' bedrooms.

Some rabbits seem to want to eat the house itself. My Isadora is one of these. She has chewed all the wallpaper off in the kitchen as high as she can reach, and has chewed the doorframe to the point nails were sticking out a centimetre and I had to hammer them in again before someone tore their foot open on it. She has even managed to sink her teeth into the kitchen door strongly enough to pull it open :roll: She has even had a go at the washing machine. :shock: I noticed the paint is all scratched along one side from her teeth. I'm just glad she is too big to get behind it. I HAVE to keep her confined to the kitchen. She is not safe to be let any further into the house. I am going to get her some of those grass mats to see if that distracts her. She is still quite young - around a year I think. I am hoping she will grow out of it.

Good luck with Kymber. I would choose a safe area for him and give him plenty of disposable chewables.

unfortunately i have no safe areas, i am just waiting for the quarenteen period to be over and the weather to lift and then he out with the other buns,my house is not big enough to have a house bun!!!but the garden is..

For cable protetion from rabbit nashers I have found some great cable cover from Maplin. Its hard plastic casing the winds over the cable. It can be chewed through but only over a long time. They do it in different sizes for all different size cables. Great stuff and very cheap.

I bought Darcy a cardboard house from www.cardboardguy.com which he loves and has stopped his interest in the furniture!!

Good luck!! xx :D

He chewed straight through my mobile phone charger cable. I wasn't happy, to say the least. Still need to buy a new one.

You are weaning him onto the SS slowly, right? Mixing it with the Excel I mean. A rapid change-over can cause lots of gut problems. We recommend changing over about 10 days.

He will eat a little, if you leave it for him all day. He did it with me.

He's a difficult bun!!! Just watch his poops and feel his abdomen a couple of times a day, if he's not getting puffed up or stopping pooping, he should be ok, but I'm sure you know that...;)

i have 10 buns and have experience looking after them, he demolishes the ss the excel you were giving was for dwalf and young buns, which he is neither, he has been eating well and drinking well and eating loads of hay since hes been here. he fine!!!!!

oh forgot to say he did not eat the excell at all in the first day at all, and i dont think hes a difficult bun at all hes now using the litter tray all the time, and his only problem is his chewing which i feel is just somethink he has learnt to do being a house bunnie.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you're on about!!!! Just a worried former Kymber mommy, sorry! :oops:

So he's not weeing all over the place anymore? That's good!!!!!! It REALLY got to me!!!!!!!!

I've got no idea how to stop his chewing. Everything I ever read in any book has been absolutely no use. Sure, he loves replacement chew toys, and chews on them in the cage, but outside the cage he forgets them and chews on what he's not supposed to!!!!!

I bet you can't wait till he gets outside!!!!!!

(have the previous owners sorted out vacc details with you?!)

Back