• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet tail?

Hi everyone,
It seems that one of our babies have developed wet tail. With the adult rabbits I give either meds and oatmeal and that will clear it up. But with the babies I am not sure what I should do. They are quite young still...they were born Dec 1st.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!
Nicole

make sure they are eating plenty of hey and put probiotics in there water. Keep a close eye on them if they get the runs they will need quick intervention. val

bunnylove said:
what is wet tail?

Im sorry I didnt expand on that.....I thought it was a "universal"term :lol: :oops:

Here is America..wet tail is given when a rabbit, hamster etc has loose stools. Its not watery but sticky enough that it will get stuck to their tail. Here they have meds that you can give to the animals but they have to be older than what the babies are. You can also give oatmeal. What Im not sure of is if the babies are to young for oatmeal also.

Thanks for your help!
Nicole

taylor v 109 said:
make sure they are eating plenty of hey and put probiotics in there water. Keep a close eye on them if they get the runs they will need quick intervention. val

They have baby rabbit food and also hay. The hay is rather new to them and Im not sure if its to much for them. Do you know is Oatmeal is ok?

Thanks,
Nicole

Hay should be the bulk of there diet its what keeps there bowls open and there teeth healthy, the chances are that the food u are giving may be too rich i would recomend a complete food for them, this should not affect them like most changes of diets would. They could live on hay alone its their natural food all winter in the wild. u could try oats but i would put them on a complete with less protein. too much protein in there diet means softer poos wich is more likly to stick. Usualy they would eat the soft stools again but if they are getting too much protein then they wont. val

Back