• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hot water bottles?

Hey everyone,

After feeling cold and miserable today I went out and bought myself a hot water bottle. However, in my usual fashion, I realised the girls are cold and huddled, too, so I'd rather give it to them if it'll make them happier!

It's one of the rubber, ribbed (hee hee hee, how dodgy!) Boots ones. Does anyone use these? How many layers do you put around it before giving it to your buns? I was thinking a towel covered with a pillow case (otherwise they'll just pull the towel off, methinks), but am not sure if it'll produce enough heat if I do that...

...anyone have any experience and advice?

Umm, rubber water bottle and bunny teeth :lol:

I think you'd be better filling a solid plastic bottle or buying one of the snugglesafe heatpads that are meant to be bite proof. Or I guess you could put the water bottle in a shallow wodden box they could sit on.

Unless it particularly cold where they are they should be fine as they are inside, remember they are wearing thick fur coats that are very good at insulating them, not like us measly humans.

Tam

Hehehehe, yea, I know, rubber! lol That's why I wanted to cover it with at least a pillow case, if not a towel and one!

I can't find decent animal heating pads anywhere, and definitely haven't seen a snugglesafe in a while. Where does everyone find them?!?!

They've perked up a bit, but are still huddling. Guess they're just missing the Harry Man...or the funny bunny in the corner who was so scared of them (superiority complex alert!!!)...

I've only seen them online. There about £20 inc postage though!

I'd try make a towel followed by a card box or a plastic sandwich box might be good? Sort like a homemade plastic heatpad. Just have a plan inplace in case they do chew through, thats a lot of water to mop up ;)

Tam

Oooohhh, that's an excellent idea! Argh! Threw away all the old sandwich boxes a couple of weeks ago!

Nevermind, I don't use all of mine, anyway...:D These bunnies live better than me! And I love it...:D:D:D

There's 2 P@Hs here in Bristol and I don't recall seeing pads there, but I might have another look soon. It's a bit pricey for poor studenty me, though, so might go with the patented Tamsin's Blue Peter approach!!!

Hi, I bought a Snuggle safe yesterday, tried it out on me first, I put it in the microwave for 5 mins as it suggested for out type of microwave, but it was too hot for me to handle even a good 45 mins after coming out - and way too hot for the buns me thinks, even in it's cover...any ideas why it's so hot???

Thanks

Hiya

Have you def done the right amount of time for your microwave? Mine come out very hot but once in cover it is fine and I always put it under the bedding so that they don't burn themselves if they happened to remove the cover!

Maaike - they also sell them in Wyevale garden centres. I expect as they are inside and together they won't need one as they will prob b snug. I use my snuggle safes for my buns who are outside - only then for the oldest one and one who has cancer (although she looks picture of health at mo!)lol

Nicola

I used my snugglesafe pad for the first time last night. I was surprised at how hot it was when I got it out of the microwave (but it's supposed to be, because they say to use oven gloves!).... however, once in the furry cover it was fine. I'm not sure if Ozzie used it though (I hope so because it was snowing!). Does anyone use theirs in the day? I'm assuming it's only really needed at night when the temperature drops.

I bought a rabbit bed from Ebay for about £3, but he chewed it to pieces! When I tried to put it back in he growled at me! :shock: I've resorted to putting a towel in his bed compartment (along with shredded newspaper), what does everyone else use for bedding? :?:

njefferies said:
I used my snugglesafe pad for the first time last night. I was surprised at how hot it was when I got it out of the microwave (but it's supposed to be, because they say to use oven gloves!).... however, once in the furry cover it was fine. I'm not sure if Ozzie used it though (I hope so because it was snowing!). Does anyone use theirs in the day? I'm assuming it's only really needed at night when the temperature drops.

I bought a rabbit bed from Ebay for about £3, but he chewed it to pieces! When I tried to put it back in he growled at me! :shock: I've resorted to putting a towel in his bed compartment (along with shredded newspaper), what does everyone else use for bedding? :?:

I tend to use my snugglesafe pads just on cold nights and try to avoid using it on mild nights or during the day as I don't want the buns to become too accustomed to it, then not feel the benefits.

The rest of the time they have vet bed to snuggle up on :)

taylor v 109 said:
sorry to be a wet blanket but why are using them at all, they dont need them honest unless they are ill or just had an op val

I have to agree with Val here!

They have got fur coats and they are designed for living outside. :D

Louise

hi

My buns have a snuggle safe, ive had for about a month now - i brought it off ebay. I only heat it up for 5mins as our microwave is 900w (i think) and for a 900w you only have to heat the pad for 5 mins, and i have never had to use gloves to take the pad out.

I place the pad in their bed compartment, ontop of sawdust and below all the straw, at night times. I dont use it in the day. Also at night they have a thick blanket which covers them and protects them from the wind, its not stuffy and they do get fresh air going in the bottom, but i like to think they are happy and snug.

There not out in the rain etc etc as they are in the porch, they are covered but the front door dont close so there is a gate instead to protect them from foxes and things. They've got a lovely 2 level hutch, and if they are cold they will go to the top level as its warmer, and the bottom level is their play and food area, but they like it down there best.

Sam. Leo and Fudge xx

It was freezing cold in here when I typed it (6 degs) as the heating wasn't on and I think my window's broken...(oh boy...), hence I wanted to protect them from cold they're definitely not used to...they were really huddled up so worried a little.

They didn't want it, anyway, lol...so I took it for myself... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, it WAS the original plan to be mine anyway! lol

lol, if they are cold just drape a blanket over at night if in a porch. dont cover tightly cos the humidity will build up and thats bad for there health. val

My bun loves her snuggle safe, she is getting on a bit and I don't see why she can't have a few home comforts!! She lives outside in a hutch and on freezing nights I like to think she can get some warmth from the snugglesafe. It's her choice whether she uses it or not. I use the other one for my bun who has cancer, although healthy at the mo I'd rather she didn't get chilly. Neither of buns have another rabbit with them so nice to have snugglesafe to cuddle up to on chilly nights!

Obviously some ppl think they shouldn't need them, fair enough, but I like my buns to be warm. No different to having them in a nice warm house!! :D

Nicola

Vet bed?

This may be a question wih a completely obvious answer....... but I'm going to ask it anyway!..... What is a vet bed?! :oops: :?:

Back