• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can They...

Toby

Banned
This may sound stupid…. but can rabbits either choke or vomit? We all know rabbits can get the bunny version of human IBS, so do they get the others? I have a feeling they cant vomit but I thought Id just ask anyway. How would we know if our rabbits are choking (either by hair or food)?

They can't vomit, but they can choke. My Apollo once got a pellet stuck in his throat and I had to turn him upside down to get it out... very scary... :(

I wanted to know if they could choke or not, after reading your post about Simba....I kind of thought (would we know....and do they?).

They can't vomit, but they can choke. My Apollo once got a pellet stuck in his throat and I had to turn him upside down to get it out... very scary...
:cry: :cry: :cry: sorry to hear that.

Sue Dooley (giant rabbit rescue and breeder) told us when we bought Zeus that just the week before we came her favourite and best bucks (one of Zeus' relatives) died through a freak choking accident.

She had given them all some broccoli as she always did at that time and was just finishing her rounds so to speak when she heard a funny noise from him - she ran to his cage and found him apparently choking on a broccoli floret stuck in his throat - she couldn't reach it so got him in the car and drove to her vets (round the corner) they tried to get it out but it was too late and he died on the table as they were trying to remove it. It had been about 5-10min that was all!

I am very wary of how I feed Zeus but have never had a problem and as she said it was a freak accident as he had been eating broccoli all his life!

They can't vomit which is why you can keep feeding right up until anaesthetic is administered.
Caz

Caz said:
She had given them all some broccoli as she always did at that time and was just finishing her rounds so to speak when she heard a funny noise from him - she ran to his cage and found him apparently choking on a broccoli floret stuck in his throat - she couldn't reach it so got him in the car and drove to her vets (round the corner) they tried to get it out but it was too late and he died on the table as they were trying to remove it. It had been about 5-10min that was all!

Caz

OMG how horrible it must have been to witness that

I know she was so upset when she was telling us - we all love our animals to pieces and for his death to be so senseless... At least she was there are did all she could , I am sure it would have been worse for her if she had just come back in and found him gone!

Caz

Back