• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has daisy given up on her baby?

Donna

New Kit
two weeks ago my bunny had her first litter, she had four but lost one at birth. I am a bit worried becuase up until now she has been a really good mum, But i have noticed over the last day or so that one of the kits is far less active than the others, he is the biggest of the three and seemed to be doing well. I noticed today that everytime daisy went near the nest he lunged at her for food, and she jumped away grunting and stamping. She dosnt do this with the other two and seems to let them feed fine. :?
Donna.

How old are the kits? Do they have fur? If the baby has a big belly and not skin and bones he/she should be ok. However if you feel worried, you could try placing the kit on the mother teat yourself. This way you know for sure that the little one has had a feed.

daisys baby.

they are fifteen days old today have fur, eyes open and are starting to venture out of the nest, well the two are the one that i am worried about just seems to sleep and want food. I tried putting him to her but she went mad and sat sulking for ages, shes a bad tempered bun at the best of times. he dosnt seem thin and is always warm, am wondering if he is getting fed and is just greedy and annoying mum maybe?
donna.

If his warm and not skin and bones he will be ok. If you are still worried you could try the baby on the mothers teat. You will need two of you (one to hold mum and one to hold baby), you will need someone strong to hold mum if she kicks. You can either have someone strong cradle mum and put the baby on her belly (keeping hold of the baby) while she/he suckles. Or you can keep mum on all fours and find a side teat. I use to do this and it saved a lot of kits…(if worked for nanna_of_bunnies :) ) but you CANNOT do it alone.

Your babys should not be coming out of the nest yet, if u have moved them or overhandled they will come out to soon and this will stress mum. The other reason is usualy that they are hungry, put some kitten milk in a bottle for the doe and give her extra veggies to stimulate milk flow. val

ive not handled them at all just check them every day to make sure they are ok, am now worried about them all as the two come out of the nest, goodness this is more stressful than when i had my own children :lol: . will try giving her the kitten milk and see how it gos.
thanks for all the advice guys.
donna.

just to say thanks you for the advice, i tried the lot, am now covered in scratches after putting the babies to mums teat and daisy loved the kitten milk and must have thought it was christmas with the extra veggies! I am pleased and also very relived to say that she has fed all the little ones herself today, and all seem to be very content buns again. So fingers crossed it stays that way.
thanks.
donna. :D

Hi Donna, Jessica seemed to go through a stage of very hungry babies and one even got dragged out of the nest trying to latch on she jumped out so quickly!

We gave her goats milk, which I read somewhere was good for nursing bunny mum's as she was hungry all the time.

Seemed to do the trick, the babies are now three weeks old and all running around.

Hope it goes ok

Betty

Thankfully she does seem to be feeding them all now, altough the one still lunges himself on to mum whenever he can. He is by far the biggest out of the three and is getting quite chubby, i am now starting to think he is just a very greedy so and so, as the others seem content, warm and well fed.
I think i will have to watch this young bun as i feel he maybe a bit of a livewire!!
Donna.

Back