• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Evo again - metaclopramide advice

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Yup.... Evo's been poorly with tummy troubles again. This time though, we've had to go to the vets twice. I don't think the stress of the actual vets visits were helping, so I've asked for some metaclopramide to give orally, because I was too scared of hurting him with an injection. :oops: The vet thought that the last 2 attacks were brought on the stress of the vet visit for mites injections. :? This attack has lasted much longer than normal.

Thing is.... he seems better today, and has eaten some hay and pooed since this morning. I just don't know whether to stress him out by giving the medication orally via syringe, hiding it on a piece of dried pineapple (don't know how sucessful this would be) or waiting to see how he progresses without it.

Thanks for any advice.
Laura

What about putting in on his normal food and see - at least he will still get some without the trauma of the syringe.

oh no not again :?
He really does have a bad run of things lately doesnt he.
How much oral meds do u have to give? I usually wrap my bun in a towel and syringe it in but if Evo gets very stressed when u do that i guess its not the best option. You could try what others have suggested and put it on some food.
I hope he gets back to normal real fast.

when you syringe stuff into Evo do you tip him on his back and lower his head - it moves the goo in their ear canals and makes them go all dopey and normally means you can do almost anything to your bun without stressing them. Providing they are used to being picked up I doubt they'll know much about it.

I suddenly realise how lucky I am that when I first got my teo they got used to being picked up and carried around the flat. we used to pick them up and dance with them - so giving them any drugs is no problem.

This may not help with Evo right now but when he gets a bit less stressed start doing it, ie pick him up, hold him on his back on your arms like a baby and just get him used to being handled, it means that in the future you'll have less problems. It also means you'll be able to do things like check his teeth etc.

Other ways i've given drugs to my two - green beans are fab, break the end off and fill it with drugs, as long as the drug doens't have a strong taste they'll eat the bean without a problem.

I hope Evo is OK, give him a hug from me, Charlie and Fern.

Bev

Aw heck! - I'm gonna have to come round and have words with that Evo Bunster - he really does have us on a roller coaster ride :roll:

Hows the bostin bunster doing :?:

Sending Snuggles.

Most rabbits object to taking oral stuff but persist good advise to ket your rabbits used to being turned over its handy for all sorts of thins. they dont take long to get used to it.It should only sress for a short while once they are used to it then its nothing.One of the advantages to show rabbits they are trained for this very thing i never have any bother. Even the rescues if u do it with confidence they wont be too stressed. Its important that u can give things oral sonetimes . Good luck. val

Back