• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stringy poops

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Ok my fluffy rabbit has regularly had problems with his poops, usually they become smaller and smaller and get strung with fur. I watch for this and then give him pineapple juice or kittymalt, i've also been advised to try banana too which he loves. This hasnt been a big problem recently, instead he was getting wet poops which were still normal sized, and this cleared up with the usual treatment too.
Today i just picked him up and he has a string of about 6 normal looking poops coming out of his bottom. i thought they were just caught in his fur so gave a gentle pull but theydidnt move. Then i realised they are still inside his rectum, but are hanging there :shock: Do i give a bigger pull and hopefully dislodge them or leave him alone? I'll go give him some of the usual stuff again and hope it works a treat. Ive never seen them stuck like this :?

:shock: That’s a new one. :shock: Could it be that his swallowed hair balls while cleaning himself and they are like....coming out the other end? Resulting in poops tied together? Dogs get this as well sometimes. Not sure about the pulling tho....maybe someone else can help there :)

yeah thats what it is, he does eat alot of fur. Often there are poops strung together with fur but i never seen it stuck half way out.
I ve got rid of the trialing bit now and nothing hanging from his bum now :oops: Hasnt done anymore so just hope he isnt bunged up. Well im driving home in a minute so will have to check him over later tonight once he's settled down and dose him up on the magic stuff

I just got home and given him a bowl of dried grass and he's been munching that for a while so he seems his usual self. Ive got a fresh pineapple so will have a go at chopping that up in a bit. No signs of more poops but it usually takes him a while after being in the car then he does a hoooge pile! :shock:
I'll let ya know.

He's still lively and has eaten lots of dried grass. Not a single poop since we got back tho :? Ive just attacked the pineapple and forcefed him a chunk so hopefully that will start working soon.. Next is his favourite... NOT.. kittymalt! :shock:

Oh, I hope he's ok.... hopefully it's just a temporary thing from the stress of the car journey. At least he's still eating!

He was like it before the car journey Laura but it probably didnt help much.
Well he's just had his kittmalt.. what a struggle that is! Then i groomed him and cuddled him a bit and then sat him in his litter tray and wouldnt let him come out for a while. HURRAH! He's done about half a dozen normal poops, no fur attached.. phew.. now i know he isnt bunged up.
:D

He seems fine today so hopefully thats the end of that. He did more poops last night, didnt eat much pellets but has eaten a bowl of dried grass. Has drank alot too so guess that means all is great.
Thanks for the messages... i'll just keep an eye on him for a few more days and feed him some more pineapple just in case.

Hope lovely Simba is ok now.

Could it be that all the hair he "may be" swallowing, could be effecting his tummy (i.e putting him off his food).?

It sometimes takes him a day or two to go back to eating as normal.. maybe there is a bit of a backlog to get rid of or something... He certainly hasnt lost it completely as he is constantly at the bowl of dried grass and right now i think that it is more important that he eats that than the pellets so I will just keep an eye on it in another day or so.

He is certainly cute but hey this fluff doesnt half cause problems hehe
Hopefully he will be ok for a while now tho.. i'll just keep giving him pineapple chunks. Shame he doesnt like it much tho.. its a bit of an effort to get him to eat it! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: your title made me laugh :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear he is on the mend :) mind you, he is a very fluffy bun so would imagine that others with fluff balls must have this problem on occassions too. :? sounds like you have quite a few sets of pearly string sets :wink: :lol:

Diddeen said:
lol denny.. you on the bicardi again?? :lol:
Maybe i'll save a set of pearls specially for you :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have had to change to bacardi breezer now :oops: getting rather hot and thirsty :roll:

Set of sundried pearly necklace sounds lovely :D the natural range of homemade jewellery :wink:

One of my buns frequently does stringy poos, he had a chain of about 16 hanging out his bum the other day! :shock: He always seems to eat his food ok though and once the stringy ones have finished the rest are ok! I always thought he wasn't digesting the hay properly but may be its because he has fairly long fur ! :?: :?

Probably the fur touie :?
As long as he keeps on pooping its not so bad..
If ever he gets a bit bunged up kittymalt (sold in petshops for cats) works quite well altho mine hates it! Also pineapple juice (unsweetened) syringed into his mouth, or if he'll eat it a chunk of fresh pineapple is good as it has an enzyme in it that breaks blockages up i believe.

Back