• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What colour?

Its not unusual for bunnies eyes to glow red/pink when you take a photo of them. Its just like humans can get red eyes in photos when you use a flash.

I think the colour is called siamese sable but don't hold me to that, I'm not expert :D

Tam

Im no expert either but my bunny is that siamese sable colour with red eyes in daylight. Apparently i read that it is usual in the breed Havana which my bunny i think is a cross between and a new zealand or a himalayan or something. I think people call it seal point and frosted something...we'll wait for rexybexy to find this thread cos she'll know.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/emilou/108_0829.jpg
her eyes in this pic have been red eye edited out but her eyes really are red.

Just checked on brc site and it says for Havana
Eyes: - same colour as body, glowing ruby red in subdued light.

As for the colour, you could be right tam but im no colour expert either :lol: Come on Cheryl, val, becky, clare etc.. we know u lot will know the answer :D

p.s. Not sure if they are all going to bradford but if so they wont be answering til after sun now :D

Of course as already said many rabbits get red eyes like humans do. I mean.. simba's eyes are really dark almost black.. but in this photo the flash caught him just right :lol:
simbaredeye.jpg

Sables are supposed to have ruby eyes witch is darker than red, a photo would solve the problem if u could, although sable is probebly what u have . val

Hi there,

I think its a sable (there is a photo on the link Val) although i'm no expert on that particular breed so anyone can correct me if i'm wrong. There are dark-eyed breeds that have what is called a 'ruby-glow' which is exactly as in the picture & what they should have.

What a lovely looking rabbit 8)

This is Blackberry, i thought it was really unusual to see pinky eyes on a brown rabbit, they arnt noticable in the dark but in daylight they shine a lovely red/pink colour.
He reminds me of the rabbit from Watership down which is why I called him blackberry :D

blackberry2.jpg

blackb.jpg

What's the genetics for Havana to get ruby eyes?
I thought siamese is cream with dark points. Is it different for rabbits? Or the same, just a different type? What's the genetics for sable siamese?

Because they aren't technically albino eyes - i.e. they have pigmentation but just appear red in the light then the genetics aren't that complicated, there are a few genes that code for eye colour and somewhere along the way there is one that gives dark eyes a ruby tinge.

This is probably recessive if it isn't very common and mainly found in havanas. If it is recessive the mum and dad both carried the gene, one of them could have been a havana (I assume the true parentage is not known), or both parents probably had havana in their lineage so during random chromosomal rearrangement in the parents both the sperm and the egg that produced this baby ended up carrying the gene for the ruby tinged eyes.

Hair colour is controlled by hundreds of genes and I couldn't possibly explain how the baby ended up that colour.

If the eyes were albino but the coat had colour it would be more difficult to explain and quite rare as usually there is one gene that controls pigmentation and when it is defective there is normally no pigmentation on any part of the rabbit, that is why all-white rabbits with coloured eyes are unusual too.

Caz

sola said:
What's the genetics for sable siamese?

For a Siamese Sable (like the pic) the genetic code is aaB-cchlcD-E-, the dashes representing unknown reseccives which can only be figured out by test mating and/or a pedigree which goes far enough down the generations. the little letters are the recessive genes and the capitals are the dominant ones.
HTH

Caz said:
Hair colour is controlled by hundreds of genes and I couldn't possibly explain how the baby ended up that colour.

Caz

But Becky can - good on you!! Where did you find that out? :D

Caz

Caz said:
Caz said:

Caz

But Becky can - good on you!! Where did you find that out? :D

Caz

U mean me ??? ;) :lol: Just some general knowledge I picked up on the way - I got the genetic code from the BRC website ;) lol

Oh shoot :oops: ! I read the signature not the name and it is similar to Becky's (Rexy Bexy) that'll teach me not to read things properly!

Soooo sorry - well done Rachel :D!!

Caz

Back