• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Tray Bedding Advice Please

Nicola T

New Kit
Hi, we have been using Carefresh Pet Bedding for a couple of weeks now, this is really good but is quite expensive as we use one bag in a week!! We were wondering whether you are allowed to use cat litter and if so which type. Does anyone know and can advise please?

Thanks

Nicola & Ian
(Thumper & Sparkle's Mum & Dad)

i was using sawdust which was cheap but ended up all over the house

I now use a wood based cat litter - which is compressed sawdust in pellet form. Fantastic stuff.
You need to be careful with cat litter as you need to get the variety that doesnt clump together when wet

Hiya - I used Megazorb which is similar to carefresh and can be bought in big bags from Bunnymail or if you search on Megazorb on the web it will give you there website and other distributor contacts.

Hope this helps.

I tried Carefresh and found it didn't absorb the odour.

I use the compressed sawdust pellets too (Beauti-Cat or Mayfield) and have found it is reasonable - £6/7 for 30kg bag which lasts my four bunnys and guinea pigs and their huge litter trays/cages about a month.

It doesn't cling to their fur too much and doesn't seem to be tracked through the house like the Carefresh was.

There is a great article from the House Rabbit Society webpage: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/liver-disease.html it only recommends using paper or compressed sawdust based litters.

Caz

I used to use a wood based pelleted cat litter but now I use biocatolet. I find its cheap enough and it controls odours ok, not that i find bunnies have much of an odour anyway...

i dont know if this is a 'reccommended' one for bunnies but does alright for me, buddy and the ratties!!!

Hi Nicola

We use clay based cat litter, which is dead cheap. The litter tray, designed by my partner Paul, has a plastic grid about 2cm above the base of the tray. This, in our view, is absolutely ideal. The bunnies cannot get to the litter to eat it (which I know can be dangerous) or kick it up, so the surrounding area stays clean, as do their feet. The grill is kind to little paws, lets everything fall through and is easy to clean.

ysc389.jpg

As for odour, I only notice it when I pick up the tray to clean it, which I do everyday. I think the lack of smell is mainly because the mess doesn't get disturbed. Another benefit is that only a small amount of litter is neccessary, a 7 litre bag lasts me approx. 4 weeks. My Buns only go at one end of the litter tray, which is even better!!

Good Luck!

I use Tesco's paper based cat litter.
I have tried other litters but my rabbit kicks it everywhere and if its really light it gets stuck in his fluff. The tesco's one is a harder litter so doesnt tend to fly about so easily.
It absorbs his wee well as long as i scoop out the wet area regularly there is no smells.

We just use sawdust with shredded paper on top & it works well.
We did try cat liter for a while but they just tried to dig for Australia in it :roll:

& if they are house buns & out & about all day theres no odour as we change it about 3times a day which they get most excited about when its fresh :lol:
It also works out really cheap 8)

Thank you for all your replies, we will certainly take them on board and try some of them to see which our bunnies prefer!!!

We've always just used a layer of newspaper with shredded paper on top.

The newspaper absorbs wee the the shredded paper on top keeps the buns feet dry and away from it.

We've never had a problem with smell.

It's cheap and safe.

We now use hay instead of the shredded paper as they seem to like nibbling on it while sitting there.

Back