• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All is not well! Very long post.

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I know in a sense this is another bonding post and I have been doing lots of research on the subject, I think I just need some reassurance that everything is going to ok in the end?

Last night was a disaster of the highest order, both Beatrix and Marly ended up hurt.

1st Problem, I get in from work and Beatrix had been watching Maisie through her cage. Maisie had stuck her face out through the bars and Beatrix had her face in. Beatrix was grooming Maisie face, it was all very gentle and nice, then all of a sudden Maise was on her hind legs scratching Beas face with her front paws, Beatrix then retaliate by doing the same. This scratching through bars lasted about 2 seconds not long, but felt longer as I was trying to get my hands in between them. I would just like to add there is a cage between them this wasn't even proper face to face meeting, as Maisie has still got her stitches in so I wouldn't of let them meet properly, but Beatrix injured her paw on Maisie's cage.

2nd problem, I let Bob out of his puppy pen for his few hours exercise, it was his turn first before Maisie. Beatrix again was very excited when the puppy cage was being opened so I let her hang around. It started well a bit of sniffing and nose rubbing, then quicker then I could blink he had held down her head and was humping her face. I split them up and took Bob into the living room for his exercise.

I then cleaned cages and moved Maisie into puppy pen so Bob could go into her cage and they could get use to each others smells, as the plan is to bond Bob and Maisie in the long run (PS Bob and Maisie's cage are next to each other, so they can rub noses).

3rd Problem, Marly and Beatrix seem to be get on each others nerves, now this is very strange as they were love at first sight bunnies. Beatrix seems to be too interested in what the new bunnies are doing to be bothered about Marly. Marly was looking unhappy and I'm not certain, but I am sure I saw Beatrix nip Marly.

4th Problem, When it was Maisie's turn in the living room I decided to try Marly with her (as he was fed up). Marly is a very gentle chap, they had been next to each other on Sunday and it had been quite a good meeting. Again it started off well then with out warning Maisie bit a chunk out of Marly, fur and skin.

Now I will explain a bit about Maisie's background she went into the RSPCA, because she had bitten her sister quite badly and the people who had her didn't want her anymore, but they kept her sister. I thought that now she had been spayed she would be less bitey. I haven't introduced Bob and Maise properly and I won't for a bit. The reason I hadn't done it before is because I thought Bob would be a bit heavy for her after her op, but I now think that if he held down her head and tried to have sex with her face she would end up biting his balls off and I could cancel Friday's castration.

5th Problem, Beatrix and Marly are getting jealous normally when I get in from the work they come into the living room with me, they spend all night in front of the fire until bed time, but they can't at the minute as I am having to exercise two different bunnies.

Last night after Maisie and Bob had gone back to bed, Bea and Marly sat with me in the living room (luckily they had made friends and were sitting with their cheeks joined together) Marly was missing some skin and Beatrix holding her paw in the air, they looked fed up, I felt fed up. Please someone tell me this is going to get easier?

I am sorry this is so long but I needed to ask people who know about this sort of thing. I am swapping Bob and Maisie around in the cages so they get use to each others smell. I have a large carrier waiting to take two at a time in the car ( I read that in living with a house rabbit book). No meeting is lasting more then a minute at the moment. Bob and Maisie haven't met properly yet as I am waiting for his castration on Friday then I need is wound to heal. Any advice will be so gratefully accepted?

I am aware I am out for the long haul with this, I just don't want to make any mistakes and make it longer. :(

Phew Tree, your nerves must be in tatters. I don't know what to suggest but I think I'd be tempted to back off for a bit. I don't want to break the Totti/Brody love bond so cover their hutch up when Molly is running free and vice versa. Prior to doing that, I had noticed T & B getting more aggressive with each other after they'd had a sniff round Molly's hutch so I'm keeping them well away until they've got used to the new bunny smells. Don't care how long that takes, even if it means this segregation for a year, I'll do it. Good luck

I know what you mean, I took out the responsibility so I am going to see it out, but it just got a bit heavy.

I am contemplating putting Maisie and Bob in the spare room and closing door so Marly and Beatrix can't see them. I just thought with them being on display where Marly and Bea come down to eat would shorten the process. I am hoping Bob will be better after his castration, maybe last night was just a bad night. I felt so sorry for Beatrix because she wouldn't even put her foot on the floor it hurt so much, but I've checked her this morning and she was walking on it and there was no swelling so I think she was putting it on a bit. It's crazy because I thought it would be the other way round that Bea and Marls wouldn't want the new bunnies around, never in my wildest dreamsdid I think the new bunnies would be picking on Bea and Marls.

I am going to give them all a break, I will wait until Bob is better after is op and start trying him with Maisie on their own.

Thank you

I know what you mean, I took out the responsibility so I am going to see it out, but it just got a bit heavy.

I am contemplating putting Maisie and Bob in the spare room and closing door so Marly and Beatrix can't see them. I just thought with them being on display where Marly and Bea come down to eat would shorten the process. I am hoping Bob will be better after his castration, maybe last night was just a bad night. I felt so sorry for Beatrix because she wouldn't even put her foot on the floor it hurt so much, but I've checked her this morning and she was walking on it and there was no swelling so I think she was putting it on a bit. It's crazy because I thought it would be the other way round that Bea and Marls wouldn't want the new bunnies around, never in my wildest dreamsdid I think the new bunnies would be picking on Bea and Marls.

I am going to give them all a break, I will wait until Bob is better after is op and start trying him with Maisie on their own.

Thank you

You may have read in my thread that Violet (the new girl) took an instant dislike to my original two and attacked them quite badly but there had been no prior grooming or show of affection. It is possible that after the grooming incident they wanted to take it further and prove who was boss (with a bit of bouncing and fur pulling) but got a bit suprised to find the cage bars in the way.

The bonking the head is perfectly normal if Maisie let him she probably likes him! Just wait till she is feeling better and decides she wants to be boss - she will get her revenge by doing it to him :lol: !

The arrival of Violet caused Zeus and Athena to fall out temporarily but all is back to normal now (a month later). When Cosmos arrived they seemed a bit more friendly and there was little falling out except Cosmos decided to spray Athena when they were in the garden which led to Zeus trying to bounce Athena to show she belonged to him.

It might seem disheartening now - I remember watching Zeus and Athena and wondering if he would ever give up trying to be boss and just let her win as they scuffled and clumps of fur went everywhere, I hold on to that now watching Cosmos as he keeps trying to bounce Violet. There is a different balance in this relationship though as she isn't trying to be boss and just runs away.

Every match up is different but it doesn't sound from what you describe that you will have a problem having them bonded as two pairs. The trouble may be introducing the four together. I am hoping that as both of my original pair seem to like Cosmos, Violet will be easier to bond when she is fully bonded to Cosmos.

I would wait until you have both in secure bonds before introducing them to the other pair. I put my four all out in the garden in runs side by side so they are aware of the others existence but don't get to interact properly.

Caz

Cheers Caz,

I haven't read your thread but I'm off to find it now, I will just try and Bond Bob and Maisie and leave the other two until it has settled down. I think I was spoilt with Bea and Marly and I just assumed they were all going to be as easy to bond. Thank you for your help.

Back