• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-Introduction after spaying

jredk04

Warren Scout
Jack (neutered) and tinkerbell (unneuteured) have been together for nearly a month.

Bonding went well but as the weeks have passed, the behaviour you'd expect from an unneutered female has meant the relationship has become 'tested'.... tinkerbell has become more aggressive, Jack has become fed up of her 'humping' and started to 'fight' back.

no major fights but generally a lot of scuffles and filthy looks from jack to tinkerbell. (the situation, if left, would have resulted in bonding failure).

Tinkerbell was spayed yesterday. (probably a week/two later than i should have done it - but then thats the benefit of hindsight).

Now, she came home today (after a nights stay at the vets)

I've put her in a dog crate - Jack is outside it but in the room. and can sniff her (and kiss of course!!)

Question.

When would you reintroduce and how would you do it?

I've been advised to let her rest in the dog crate for 5 days.

Would i be reintroducing them as if they past month never existed???? ie in a neutral zone etc?

What about letting her hop round the room with Jack - supervised BEFORE the 5days are up?

Many thanks

Julie

As long as he can still see her throughout the 5 days their initial bonding shouldn't be upset. Have they been unable to see each other long?

I had Athena spayed then left her in her cage on Zeus' rug. He would lay beside her and they would interact through the bars and when I was able to let her out they continued from the same semi-bonded stage they were at when I had to seperate them.

I must admit I didn't let Zeus near Athena before the all clear because he was so big he could have burst her stitches when trying to "bounce" her. I would supervise their re-introduction to be safe but would wait until the vet says she has healed enough.

Caz

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM trying to bond a neutered male and an unspayed doe, i have given up cause she wont stop humping and he has started to get p****d off with it, so i am going to get her done, but have been told there smell doesnt go away for some time so she will still relise he is a male and visa versa, but i would wait until her hormones start to diminsh about 6 weeks and then try to bond, but before that just let them see each other behind cages.

but tamsin may have some better suggestions if she sees this or you pm her!!

goodluck

Hi Julie :wave:

Nice to see you back again - hadn't seen any postings from you for ages, and was wondering where you were. Thought the two buns were keeping you busy over christmas. :wink:

Sorry, I'm no help on your topic :? :? , but just wanted to say hi again.

P.S - there's a new photo section - got any new ones of the big handsome Jack and him lady Tinkerbell :)

The waiting period is to let her insides heal so she doesn't pull her stitches doing anything energetic (like humping his head). You could cuddle them on your knee together but I'd probably go with what the vet said and let her have a little time to heal before letting her race around.

Re-introductions should be easier than if they hadn't been together. Having spent time together before and living vitually together just with the cage between should mean they go back together at about the same stage they were seperated.

Best wishes,
Tam

I think i would wait a coupl of weeks to let her get over the op, then intrduce them on nutral ground but shouldent expect to much trouble after that, the girls tend to calm down quicker than the boys. val

Back