• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and renting...

Right. I'm sure most of you have seen my devastated posts about having to give my bunnies up, and then not.

If you are renting, get it IN WRITING that it's ok for you to keep pets. And specify the NUMBER of pets.

Don't let this happen to you. I'm so sad I've been physically sick. Please don't turn into me.

If you adopt any animal from the rspca you have to have it in writing that the animal can stay or you are not allowed to adopt. It is only for the animals benefit.
I edited myself because i sounded harsh and nasty and thats not how it was supposed to sound. Sorry-i see you are devastated.

I would never give up Toby If I was made too, I would move out as he cant go back to my mums. I am not rescuing any rabbits until we buy a place of our own this year.

Before we lived here,i rented a house it was off some bloke my brother knew,before we went to look i ask if he allowed pets he said yes so i told him what i had,george,claude and clover and rosie,i never told him about the gerbils,then i got miffy,william,and mildred
this was never a problem cause if he had found out and he didnt like it i would of just moved out
but funny thing is my friend rents the house now he said to her do you have any pets? she said yes one dog (she has two) he said thats ok then cause marie only had one small dog!

maaike i think its good that your landlord agreed you could have 2 rabbits in a bedsit! (rather you than me!! i know how much space one take up! :shock: )

and it was a little silly taking on 4..in such a small place and against your landlords wishes... :?

[quote="Mubby"
and it was a little silly taking on 4..in such a small place and against your landlords wishes... :?[/quote]

I think Maaike has learnt from this situation that things could have perhaps been handled differently, and that is what is important :wink: I think we should commend Maaike for being brave enough for saying that she thinks she made a mistake, it takes a lot of guts to stand up and say that. :wink:
I have cared for rabbits for 25 years and I still make bad decisions on occasions :roll:

I think Maaike has learnt from this situation that things could have perhaps been handled differently, and that is what is important I think we should commend Maaike for being brave enough for saying that she thinks she made a mistake, it takes a lot of guts to stand up and say that.
I have cared for rabbits for 25 years and I still make bad decisions on occasions

Agreed. I think if you keep the place really clean it shouldn't be a problem. I think its really nice wanting to live that close to your rabbits :) We all make mistakes, and if we haven't we will do at one point.

Maaike_Butter said:
Please don't turn into me.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you tried to do your very best for the bunnies and we know that. It didn't work out, but hey your heart is in the right place.

Maybe sometime in the future when you have a place of your own you'll probably have a little bunny sanctuary in your garden :D

Dont worry maikie....whether its 1 or 4 you took on its not wrong to have a heart to want to rescue them all whether its a bedsit or a mansion....

love & hugs to all the small creatures is whats important so dont give up!

Good on ya, you have a large heart regardless of square metres of space in your house!

:love: haggis & lil` pickle 8)

Adele said:
[quote="Mubby"
and it was a little silly taking on 4..in such a small place and against your landlords wishes... :?

I think Maaike has learnt from this situation that things could have perhaps been handled differently, and that is what is important :wink: I think we should commend Maaike for being brave enough for saying that she thinks she made a mistake, it takes a lot of guts to stand up and say that. :wink:
I have cared for rabbits for 25 years and I still make bad decisions on occasions :roll:[/quote]

I think i understand where mubbys mum is comming from after all,the poor bunny does now have to be moved to yet another home must be very confusing for him,comming from a person (me) who has lots of animals in a smallish house,it can work.but its bloody hard work i wouldnt have it any other way
we all learn from our mistakes,i belive the bunny will be in good hands now with annie and im sure he will have a wonderfull life

Nah, everyone's totally right. I let me heart rule instead of my head...at age 21, you'd hope someone would know better...

It's been a really hard decision. Twice in the last hour I've thought "aww, let's give him another chance", but the fact that he's not eating and drinking properly are too worrying. As a nurse I have to let my clinical heart rule over my feelings heart.

The only defence that I wanted to put up is that no one could have known Kymber would have been this unhappy with the other rabbits. As a nurse, I cannot responsibly continue to expose him to the stress...it's not good for him AT ALL...

Well Maaike, your problem is not having enough of your 'own' private space to do what you want with your bunnies & i am the opposite & i still can't have mine either! :lol: ironic!

I have my own house & 140ft non-overlooked garden & then i go & rescue another needy pet to find out i can't have the original ones! Luckily i'd already cut back on my own show bunnies (to nice homes)anyway, because of running my own business & no longer showing them... but just feel sorry for the remaining ones i had intended to keep forever.

Trouble is you want to rescue them all (animals in general) & then something doesn't work out.

Isn't that called sods law? :wink: :roll:

God help you if you happen to be vet nurse too! :lol:

As hubby tells me "At least you've got a kind heart" :love:

My other excuse is i'm an animal eccentric! :roll:

Unfortunately it is one of these things that in most rented properties you need permission to have pets and in a lot of cases they only allow one.

I know that we would all love to give good homes to every single animal in rescue but we have to let our heads rule our hearts.

I have got the four bunnies and realise tjhat I am very lucky to be able to give them lots of time and attention and give them a room to themselves. While I would be happy to foster other bunnies in the short term I think four housemates in enough for me in this house.

We are moving in the summer so the bunnies will have a whole double garage to themselves. It is part of the house so they will even have their own utility room (very posh).

There is a saying "every good man knows their limitations" and I think that advice that we should all take to heart. :)

lol Pam

Oh Maike, I think you're a great person and I know everyone would agree and even more your bunnies (current and others). You tried and it may not have worked out but you had the heart to try. Trying to have that many in a bedsit is just a lovely gesture but you need space for yourself too. I think you've been lovely trying but have learned a good lesson. I don't mean that patronisingly either. You give great advice and never stop believing in yourself xxxxx :)

Back