• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat Activity Centres for Rabbits??

Caz

Mama Doe
I was having a look in my local pet store at the weekend and saw some cat activity centres. Now as Violet seems to prefer sleeping up on the futon and Cosmos loves to jump I thought about getting them something like this:

4352.jpg

Do you think they would be safe for bunnys?

I don't think it would be a good idea for Zeus though as although he loves to jump he isn't quite as agile as the others and could get stuck in the tube!

What do you guys think??

Caz

I've considered these as toys for Monopoly and Cassidy as they love climbing so much, but they're all a bit expensive. Especially when most bunny toys end up ignored by them anyway. :(

I was looking at the plastic ones when I first got the shed - there was one shaped like a boat which I was very tempted to buy until I realised that it was £35 so I talked myself out of it sharpish.

We have tried them here with the Sanctuary rabbits in the past, and in reality most rabbits just ignore them after a bit of initial exploration.
We have had one rabbit who liked to climb and sit elevated on the platform, but please remember that rabbits can injure their spines quite easily when jumping from heights..so perhaps you could try just the two tier one to begin..the one in the picture above looks good :thumb:

I might be able to get these at trade prices otherwise I wouldn't be considering them as the prices start from £50 right up to £200 for some of them :shock: !!

The dimensions say that one is about 90cm tall which is why I thought it would be alright as a metre isn't very high and that is about the height I have seen them jump with ease. I also thought if I put it against a wall when they jumped they wouldn't skid off the top then.

Caz

I have one of these for my lot, had it about 4 or 5 years now. They all use it but that could be as it's plonked right infront of a litter tray. The one I have has a platform with a tube underneath and a smaller platform at the top. The smaller platform is pretty small but its the perfect height for me when Im grooming so I often use that part. Some of the younger boys will venture on to it as well but as Chloe and Boo's bed is right next it they don't have to make a huge jump down. The tube is very well loved and many of the bunnies have been found sleeping in there although it has seen better days and a few of the females took to digging in there and have chewed off most of the furry lining and cardboard. They also like to sleep on the platform as its a good level for making it a look out post.
I did have a look for a new one a while ago but couldn't find the same design. I quite like the look of the ones with the sleeping place in the bottom with a triangle shaped entrance. No idea how much they cost though.
Angela

I quite like this one...

oregon.jpg

I think it would go down well with Cassidy. She likes hiding in tunnels until an unsuspecting bunny bum hops past. I think she's half trapdoor spider.

I'd have to swap the goldfish for a carrot though.

Hi Caz, yes its the Elisabeth one I have, although that one looks waaaaayyyy healthier than mine :lol: There's only half the tube left on mine! Hmmmm may have to invest in another one although I spotted a few designs on that lamp post site. I quite liked the amethyst , toledo and valencia designs. Im not sure how safe the toledo and valencia designs would be!
I also spotted the same one as Bertie but I changed my mind as I thought that the tunnel bit might be a bit scarey for some bunnies. It looks to me as if it just made from material and not reinforced with cardboard so wouldn't it move when a bunny puts any weight on it?

Caz if you have any sucess I'd love to know which designs and the prices please.

Angela

Cassidy seems to thrive on danger. She has one of those seesaw tubes so I think she'd quite enjoy a hammock.

Awww lucky Cassidy, mine are a bunch of wimps well apart from Angel coz he's got to be brave and fight all them awful demons just like his namesake, well thats what he told me the other day when I asked him what exactly he was doing :lol:

Angela

Bertie said:
I've considered these as toys for Monopoly and Cassidy as they love climbing so much, but they're all a bit expensive. Especially when most bunny toys end up ignored by them anyway. :(

:lol: :lol: Hey I know just what you mean! - I carn't count the toys I've brought for my lot and apart from the tinkley bell toys most are now ignored - except for the cardboard packaging out of a recent box - this seems to be the current fav :!: Cheap Toy me thinks :lol: :lol:

Hey Up Tamsin, I think you have been watching Blue Peter.again :wink: :p :lol: :lol: ..you are full of good ideas, but sticky tape in my hands is dangerous..!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Tamsin said:
Could have some diy fun with card postal tubes and a ball of sisal.

Maybe some thick card or perhaps corrugated plastic for the shelfs and rolls of corrugated card (or bumper bunny tubes) for the tunnels. Vetbed for hammocks. Plywood/card to make hidy boxes.... you could have loads of fun and it would be much cheaper ;)
Tam

I just carn't wait to go for my "Blue Peter Badge" - !! Cardboard Cutouts - here I come :lol: :lol: :lol:

We used to have two of the cat scratcher thingymabobs - that's until we found that the buns where actually chewing off the fake fur that lines them :shock: :shock: :shock: It got us really worried and we got rid of them - oh my poor purse cried that day :roll: :shock: :lol:
Seriously though, if you think of getting something like these then please check that the buns can't eat the coverings - it's pretty scary when you think of it.
I think I'll stick to tunnels and cardboard boxes etc - and maybe have a go at Tam's ideas :shock: :roll: :lol:

Back