• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Cages

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I am looking to buy a bigger indoor cage for Skip but the petshop ones all seem to be the same size and I bought the biggest one I could 2 years ago for Skip.

Or any other ideas for indoor accomendation would be good :idea:

PS:I'm no good at making things :cry:

You could buy a puppy pen claude and miffy live in one,or lilac and shadow live in an indoor dog cage with a run attached

Either a dog crate, or get some of the storage panels and attach them to the cage to make an extended run that bunnies can have access to all day. You can get dog crates from Ebay far cheaper than from a pet shop, they're taller than the indoor bunny cages so you can add in a second level.

I now only buy dog crates as rabbit cages. If bought on ebay, it is the cheapest option, but also the best I feel. A puppy pen would be of no use for one of my rabbits, as she jumps and climbs (yes, climbs - she is a wild rabbit cross and apparently wild rabbits climb!). She would get out with ease, however high it would be...

Vera

Aye. Bouncing bunnies can be a problem, but it's one you only find out after you've put them in a topless run. Monopoly just flings herself at the side of the run and keeps on running up the side until she's out. If you had something like a pack of those PWS run panels, you could keep a couple spare for covering the top of the run.

The pws panels are very good if you don't have a bun that likes to get out,
I use 2 panels on the top but to be Blueberry proof I have to use cabel ties but its not very conveinient to open when you want them out!!
Brian was fine without a lid it all depends on the bunny :lol:
Bare in mind Blueberry is a big girl so it doesn't take much effort on her part to jump out or reach up to knock the lid off.

I have just ordered a dog cage, the largest is just a bit smaller than the space they have now.
heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=301&item=4350162237&rd=1

That's the crate we have for Boscov. For smaller bunnies, it's a good height for putting in a second level. The positioning of the doors make it a bit awkward, but I reckon it can be done.

We haven't put in a shelf, but I reckon you could run some strips of wood/metal through the gaps in the crate and then attach the extra level to it. I'd probably also only shelf half the crate and at the end where the side door was. The front door doesn't go up high enough to make it easy to get bunny out if it's upstairs. But the end door goes the full height and depth of the crate, so you could access both levels easily. Then you've got a full height section for bunny to stand up in, a hidey hole part under the shelf and a ledge for the more adventurous bunny. The crate is big enough that you could even fit a small coffee table in there, maybe one of those small ones from a nested set, if you found one that was cheap enough for nibbling. Then you don't have to do any DIY at all.

Somebody made me one but i cant use it as it attaches the the shortest side but i have the door on the long side open then they go out into there run
a8a253cfc42b1b7bcfe2cd44c3c3ac50.JPG

10c39c027ff1bd430676b4e7fc14815c.JPG

I've still got a dog cage that the girls are staying in. Once I make the huge cage, I'm more than happy to sell this one on. Only problem is that I don't have any packing material to post it in!!!

beck said:
I use 2 panels on the top but to be Blueberry proof I have to use cabel ties but its not very conveinient to open when you want them out!!

We use bulldog clips, makes securing and opening so much easier :wink:

I use the pws panels turned on the side for height purposes and bulldog clips like bunny hugger. We have a huge puppy crate from our last puppy but the holes in the mesh are too big!which sucks.
Ill post a picture later. Its my Bunny Arena

Back