• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thought it was all going too well!

RussAb

Young Bun
We've had our 2 bunnies for a month now, and we hadn't seen any of the problems people have posted on here....until today. Abbie was ok this morning when I fed her but went very quiet later on, and sat pretty still when normally she's all over the place. I also started hearing these strange noises which appear to be her breaking wind. She does look uncomfortable.

We panicked a bit, and thought it best to get her straight to the vet, and thats where she is now whilst they observe her. Giles looks a bit sad without his missus, so hopefully she'll be better tomorrow.

Hopefully the vet will tell me, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway - any ideas what could have caused this? My best guess is that's because I fed them a small piece of broccoli for the first time last night and this morning - but Giles had that too and is ok. And Abbie was ok this morning, yet had some broccoli last night. I haven't changed their diet majorly - I've been gradually introducing more veg and less pellets into their diet, but that's been so for the last three weeks without even a hint of trouble.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Russell

Broccoli can cause bloat in sensitive bunnies, so it could be that. Does her tummy feel quite hard? Our bunnies eat it with no problems, but I've read a lot of sites that list veg that can cause trouble if your bunny has a sensitive tum and broccoli is on most of them.

Hope the bunsters are o.k - funny you should mention Brocoli as this is what Cagney had a small amount of recently and she had a tummy tantrum - so if this is a veg which is likely to cause bloat I'll definately take this of the list for future.

Sending bunny snuggles.

awwwwwwwwww hope Abbies ok :( ...sending cyber snuggles...

and Giles isnt too sad without his missus! huggles to him too

keep us posted!

Rexy bexy said:
RussAb said:
I also started hearing these strange noises which appear to be her breaking wind. She does look uncomfortable.
just to say rabbits cant pass wind or burp

Bunnies do pass wind! Some more than others :roll: . One way of relieving trapped wind in a bun is to sit it on your knee and try and keep the head lower than the butt and give a very gentle massage to the belly. This makes the trapped wind travel upwards and out through the butt. Some people use a vibrating massager, some people sit their bunny on top of a working washing machine. I'll see if I can find the article on it. But no they don't burp as far as I know. :roll: :lol:

Our Smokey used to do some real stinkers when he was sat under the kitchen table and then get up and hop away :lol:

Lynda wrote

Our Smokey used to do some real stinkers when he was sat under the kitchen table and then get up and hop away

Little stinker :lol: :lol:

Seriously though..I think we all know what like it is to have an upset tummy so I am thinking of poor Abbie.
swoon.gif

bunnyhuggger said:
Some people use a vibrating massager

A Rabbit for your rabbit? :shock:

My nose will vouch for the ability of bunnies to chuff. Boscov just cranked one out while I was typing.

bunnyhuggger said:
Rexy bexy said:
RussAb said:
I also started hearing these strange noises which appear to be her breaking wind. She does look uncomfortable.
just to say rabbits cant pass wind or burp

Bunnies do pass wind! Some more than others :roll: . One way of relieving trapped wind in a bun is to sit it on your knee and try and keep the head lower than the butt and give a very gentle massage to the belly. This makes the trapped wind travel upwards and out through the butt. Some people use a vibrating massager, some people sit their bunny on top of a working washing machine. I'll see if I can find the article on it. But no they don't burp as far as I know. :roll: :lol:

Our Smokey used to do some real stinkers when he was sat under the kitchen table and then get up and hop away :lol:
Yep all 4 of mine pass wind,i remember once after claude had bloat the vet gave him an injection to relive the gas he said he could get the runs,i was sitting in the front room when i smelt this horrible smell,expecting to go in and find claude in a mess there was no poo just a very terrible rotting veg smell poor claude!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so far I`m lucky in I haven`t smelt anything yet, I leave that one up to my son :!:

But it must be a bit painful for them having alot of wind.

Hope your darling is better soon.

bronie

ps is it advisable to have the bottom facing away from you when massaging :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bertie said:
bunnyhuggger said:
Some people use a vibrating massager

My nose will vouch for the ability of bunnies to chuff. Boscov just cranked one out while I was typing.

Must admit when I started reading this thread, I immediately thought of Boscov and his cabbagey erm..................

Thanks everyone! I don't think I mentioned the broccoli to the vet so I definitely will tomorrow.

That said...one of the plants in the dining room (where they aren't allowed into, but managed to sneak in the other day) has a missing leaf. It would explain why Abbie is ill but not Giles as he'd be too small to reach it!

Still in the dark at the moment...I called this morning, and they said Abbie was perky, and been to the toilet etc and has been given an injection and some medication, something to do with restoring good bacteria (I sound like a bloomin' yoghurt advert :lol: ). But as the vet hadn't looked at her, she said to call back later. They'd been busy so when I called back they still hadn't seen her. They said rather than me keep ringing, they'd call back within the hour.

I didn't get a call for the rest of the day, so I called later on and they were shut. So I'm still none the wiser, and perhaps a tad worried. But at least it sounded promising, and if they've had an emergency or something they won't have been able to call. They did sound very busy.

Giles does look lonely, in that big hutch all on his own! Strange to not see the two of them in there. Tried to comfort him, but perhaps he wasn't that lonely as he stamped his foot at me when I tried to pick him up!

RussAb said:
They'd been busy so when I called back they still hadn't seen her. They said rather than me keep ringing, they'd call back within the hour.

I didn't get a call for the rest of the day, so I called later on and they were shut. So I'm still none the wiser, and perhaps a tad worried. But at least it sounded promising, and if they've had an emergency or something they won't have been able to call. They did sound very busy.

Busy or not I would not be happy if they had not called me, especially if she is now in overnight again and I had not had an update :roll: :?

Back