• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective, how much and how often?

Hey everyone!

Just polling everyone on how much SS they feed, and how often?

I need to change the rabbits all onto the same routine, and am wondering what everyone here does?!

Mine have about a dessert spoonfull each twice a day,i tried cutting this down to once a day but miffy lost weight

Maaike_Butter said:
That little?! Whoa! That's quite cost effective, then!
yep but the main part of there diet isnt dry food its hay mainly,dried grass (which i mix there dry food into) and lots of different veggies and sometimes a bit of fruit

I feed quite a lot of hay, veggies, and some fruit as well, but don't mix the pellets with dried grass...hmmmm...interesting, though, that's a lot less than Excel!

Molly came to me liking mix not pellets. I noticed she was extremely selective i.e. loved the flaked peas but left the straw type stuff so mixed in SS as well. She wolfs the SS down and is now probably getting 50g twice a day. Her weight has stabilised so I'm glad I've found something she really likes. As long as she continues to munch the hay/straw (which she loves) I'm not going to put her on rations. I can't believe such an old bun can eat/poop so much!!!

For an average size bun about 50g per day which you can split in two. An older bun, a bun thats underwight, getting loads of exerise or iving outside during winter will eat more. Its not an exact science though the main thing is eating plenty of hay, maintaining a healthy weight and producing good poops :D

Tam

Thankee Tamsin!

This stuff is new to me, and I don't always listen to what they say on the bag (Excel quotes way too much which gives the buns stick bums), but I take it this doesn't happen with SS?

Harry's on it already, and I want to get the other three onto it as well!

Molly - older bun - definitely; getting plenty of exercise - no, she doesn't move much; underweight - possibly; living outside - yes; does good poops -OMG yes. Huge and plentyfull. Could set up a rabbit manure business and make a fortune from what she generates :lol:

Thanks everyone!!!! Think I'll stick with the same routine I have now, half in the morning, half in the evening, and veg when I get home from work!

A friend of mine was told this by her vet, and I thought it was quite useful.

Think of rabbit meals like our own, starter, main course and dessert.

The starter being the veg, the main course being hay and Science Selective (or rabbit mix) being the dessert.

So obviously the rabbit mix or Science Selective being the smallest portion of all.

Carole

Hi,

Actually I had the same thoughts as you when my friend told me!!!! well I dont suppose the rabbits have to do the same as us do they!!!

Happy Feeding.

Carole

Back