• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marly's getting too hot.

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Marly has always (I believe) been an outside hutch rabbit, now he lives as a house bun.

The problem is I keep finding him lying underneath the radiators. I felt him last night and he felt as hot as an electric blanket, so I moved him from the radiator and he went back to it.

He isn't poorly or anything, when I got up this morning he followed me downstairs as normal, had a wee and a bit of breakfast and was happily playing with Bea. He is a cashmere and his coat is coming back lovely and thick, I just really don't think he needs to be cuddled under a radiator at night. Should I be worried?

I don't know what to advise as mine have shown no interest in radiators. If he likes it there I would be inclined to let him as long as he can't burn himself on it. I have seen piccys of bunnies stretched out infront of fires so they obviously like the creature comforts ;) !

Just make sure there is plenty of fresh water availible as it would be very easy for him to get dehydrated!

Caz

Hiya Caz,

Thanks for that Ive read so many times that rabbits prefer the cold to the hot, that I had started to panic about him. Beatrix lies in fromt of the fire, but she's always been an inside bun so it's never bothered me.

Marly must of acclimatised, you would think he would of cooking being use to being outside all time (he felt like he was), he did seem quite content though.

Our Mr Bojangles used to sit under the radiators :roll: he seemed to want to sit and roll over and have forty winks there :lol: I think it is making the most of being in the lap of luxury :lol: I think if he was too hot, he would take himself off to the back door where there is usually a draft (bo used to do this, I would open the back door to see if he wanted to go out but most of the time he did'nt but he would lie by the door with the door open :roll: )

Just check that he is'nt breathing fast, like a hot kind of breathing, if that makes sense :? like alot of animals do when they are out in the hot weather

Hiya,

He is breathing ok and he doesn't seem poorly, I will keep an eye on him.

I hope I don't annoy everyone always bringing my Jack Russell Toby into a lot of posts but I feel that sometimes it does relate. Toby was kept outside for over three yeards and when we took hin in..... he went for the hottest place he could find!! The tiniest sunny spot and he was stretched out in it. He had a huge comfy soft chair in front of the patio doors and you know the heat that can come in those!!! He just loved it. When we moved here....we installed a Stanley cooker (like an AGA) and his bed was right in front of it and he was roasting but he was in seventh heaven
dogrun2.gif
dogrun2.gif

Yeah, I think that's what Marls does, sometimes I think shift if you're burning, but he seems to love it.

According to my notes, rabbits should be kept at 4-21 degrees C. So it's quite odd that the bun's sitting by the radiator!! Be VERY careful, temps above 24C can cause heat stroke and that's most often fatal in rabbits.

Maaike_Butter said:
According to my notes, rabbits should be kept at 4-21 degrees C. So it's quite odd that the bun's sitting by the radiator!! Be VERY careful, temps above 24C can cause heat stroke and that's most often fatal in rabbits.

:? My buns sit beside the radiator a lot of the time when they are in the house. Is it really that odd ?

They are free range so can move from the heat whenever they want, but they choose to sit there. Should I really be that worried - I have no idea of the exact temperature where they choose to sit :roll:

Smokey my chin rex had a love affair with the radiator. He used to lick it when it was on and snuggle right up to it. I just made sure the radiator wasn't too hot. He also had one of those fleecy cat hammock thingys which you hook over the top of the radiator and it hangs down the front, if you know what I mean, he slept in that a lot. I think if the bun gets too hot, it'll move away itself, just make sure the radiator isn't burning hot.

My camera is always at the ready !!! :wink: :wink:

Pssssst, Rob, Auntie Lynda has just told mum she has to turn the radiator down

Picture063.jpg

Aaahh, there there Rob, it's not that bad, please don't sulk - it's OK, we've found the only radiator in the house with no temperature control :lol:

Picture555.jpg

As heat rises I would think directly underneah wouldn't be as warm as you might expect?

:lol: those pics and captions are brill .

Cheeky loves to flake out by the radiator , if he gets too hot he just toddles off somewhere cooler.

Tamsin said:
As heat rises I would think directly underneah wouldn't be as warm as you might expect?

Good thinking Einstein Tam, and, seeing as they are lying on the landing at the top of the stairs, there isn't any heat coming from directly below them (if that makes any sense :? ). OK, less worried now - thought I was going to have packed bunny bags if I moved them every time they sat there :roll:

Marly says : "Maybe we can hide under the bed she won't notice we are lying under a radiator, if I stick my bum up I can just about touch it and warm it up".

Beatrix say: "Hmmm good idea and there some paper we can shred too".

Pic021a.JPG

Back