• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on Treacle bun please

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Treacle is going to be 8 in a weeks time, and apart from her bridge brother Toffee, she is the only bunny I have ever had the pleasure of being responsible for.
She has generally been a very healthy, playful and loving little soul, apart from a few dentals and occasional cystitis episodes. Her last dental was almost 2 years ago, and she is eating her hay like a little angel at the moment, and doing nice poops.
Just recently however, I am noticing a bit of a change in her general demeanour, and its nothing I can put my finger on specifically. She is eating, drinking and still loves a fuss, but she seems to have slowed down, and does a lot more sleeping these days. Nothing to indicate she is in pain, she lets me groom her, and is happy to be felt all over. She has taken to coming and sitting by my feet, like she wants to be close to me, and has never done that before. She was last at the vets about a month ago, basically for claw clipping, but they gave a real good going over too, and said everything was looking fine, and she was in good health. Obviously if I thought she was ill in any way, she would be straight to the vets, but I don't think she is.
Having never had a bun this age, I don't quite know what to expect, so maybe she is just being normal ? Am I being overly worried, I keep watching her, maybe its me that needs looking at :lol: As most of you know, the highlight of her day, is her little slice of narnie in the morning, and she still comes running for that :D
Would appreciate anybuns thoughts please

What a good girl - eating her hay & managing her tushy pegs. It sounds normal to me. Mousey started slowing down a couple of years ago although she was never majorly active. Joey & Boo its not showing so much. She sleeps loads. Try not to worry PM, you've got her safe & comfy with her nice routines - she sounds happy..enjoy that :love:

Lopsy (8 in April-ish) has sort of slowed since he was 6: noticeably sleeps more, less likely to dash round the garden (but still does), but that's all I've noticed. He's no more or less affectionate when he's got somebun to live with :) He fell off the steps the other day because he ran into a twiggy branch and stopped but his back end didn't, and he fell sort of awkwardly, but he's really good at falling still, in the sense he doesn't hurt himself. He'll run round and off and on the windowsill at pellet time the same as he has done for 5 years, he might be a bit slower but I haven't noticed a sudden speed change there. Still eats at lightning speed when he needs to, still goes through tubes at speed, still hops 3' long and 3' straight up (like when Chibbs binkied into him the other day), still reaches up for food with no issues... :)

What a good girl - eating her hay & managing her tushy pegs. It sounds normal to me. Mousey started slowing down a couple of years ago although she was never majorly active. Joey & Boo its not showing so much. She sleeps loads. Try not to worry PM, you've got her safe & comfy with her nice routines - she sounds happy..enjoy that :love:

Aw thank you :love: yes I think maybe I am overly worrying.

Lopsy (8 in April-ish) has sort of slowed since he was 6: noticeably sleeps more, less likely to dash round the garden (but still does), but that's all I've noticed. He's no more or less affectionate when he's got somebun to live with :) He fell off the steps the other day because he ran into a twiggy branch and stopped but his back end didn't, and he fell sort of awkwardly, but he's really good at falling still, in the sense he doesn't hurt himself. He'll run round and off and on the windowsill at pellet time the same as he has done for 5 years, he might be a bit slower but I haven't noticed a sudden speed change there. Still eats at lightning speed when he needs to, still goes through tubes at speed, still hops 3' long and 3' straight up (like when Chibbs binkied into him the other day), still reaches up for food with no issues... :)

Aww bless him, that's good to hear :love:

Aw, it sounds like Treacle is doing perfectly fine, but is just slowing down a bit now that she's getting older. :love: Especially since she recently had a check-up at the vets, I don't think you have anything to worry about. This can just happen when they get older, they sleep more. And with her wanting to be close to you, that makes me think of how Sophie has gotten more cuddly as she's gotten older, too. It sounds like Treacle is happy and doing well. :love:

Aw, it sounds like Treacle is doing perfectly fine, but is just slowing down a bit now that she's getting older. :love: Especially since she recently had a check-up at the vets, I don't think you have anything to worry about. This can just happen when they get older, they sleep more. And with her wanting to be close to you, that makes me think of how Sophie has gotten more cuddly as she's gotten older, too. It sounds like Treacle is happy and doing well. :love:

Thank you :love:

buns are a worry but she sounds like she's fine to me, enjoying your company and enjoying a bit more snoozy time.
the check-up sounds reassuring & i'm sure you would pick up on anything pretty quick :love:

buns are a worry but she sounds like she's fine to me, enjoying your company and enjoying a bit more snoozy time.
the check-up sounds reassuring & i'm sure you would pick up on anything pretty quick :love:

Thanks Mike, everyone's kind comments are making me feel better :love:

I missed this thread yesterday. As others have said, everything seems to be normal with Treacle. He could be picking up on your concern re the Covid and that is why he wants to be closer to you. It's also been very very cold up there. Some older Rabbits sleep more but some don't. :love::love:

I missed this thread yesterday. As others have said, everything seems to be normal with Treacle. He could be picking up on your concern re the Covid and that is why he wants to be closer to you. It's also been very very cold up there. Some older Rabbits sleep more but some don't. :love::love:

Thanks Tonibun, yes we've had seriously cold weather, but she's indoors and heating never goes off up here. But yes she could be picking on my anxiety, I often get a little nose bump :love: I do feel more reassured now after posting though, RU is brilliant :thumb:

Back