• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat curry?

NO.

It's true. Rabbits are not people. They are not meant to eat people-food. They are meant to eat hay. Lots of hay. And some grass, and some leaves, and possibly the occasional vegetable or tiny bit of fruit. They can eat pellets.

They're not meant to eat crisps, chocolate, toast, spare ribs, Playdoh, ryvita or any other people-food.

Is this really a terribly difficult concept? There seem to be an awful lot of threads asking if people can give their rabbits something "as a treat". Our rabbits seem to regard a small bowl of pellets as a treat. Or a fresh lump of hay (which they get twice a day, in gargantuan proportions). They get occasional greens, kale, broccoli and cauliflower. Sometimes an inch of carrot. Every now and then they might get a blueberry or a grape each.

But seriously, it can't be that hard to realise that rabbits aren't meant to spend their time sucking on sherbert lemons and nibbling their way through a Toblerone, can it? :?

Oh damn it there goes the menu for Cosmos' post-neutering celebration meal - are you sure he can't have a vindaloo the poor lad needs something manly now he has lost his manly bits!

What about a nice pork chop or I could do tagiatelli carbonara is one of those ok??

Now you are going to tell me the starter - chunky ham and veg soup and the dessert - chocolate mousse are out too I bet!

;) :lol:

Only kidding - of course!

As treats mine get small bits of dried bread, apple or slightly unusual veg - I am very wary since Zeus nearly died over a piece of banana so generally he gets stuff I know he is safe with and the others are having new things introduced daily in small quantities - sugar snap peas were rejected by everyone yesterday even the GPs!

Caz

Toby eats a lot of people food (more rabbit food of course) and his fine with it. Of course I wouldn't feed any rabbit "people food" it’s just happened accidentally that Toby eats people food. :) I still recommend rabbits eating rabbit food though to most people :)

Exactly the same with dogs. My toby was so lean and fit...he weighed 13 pounds and was never given anything as a treat except...................a raw carrot! He could tell the diiference when I was preparing vegetables and was over immediately I did the carrots and happily crunched his way through it. Everyone knew not to offer him anything (he would of course have gobbled it up) and this way he never begged etc. I think because he was only given his "proper" food ...he was a healthy..lean..mean machine
dogrun2.gif

Is it me that is the culprit? I am sorry if I have annoyed or offended any one with my questions on various food substances. Let me try and explain myself here: I have had rabbits in the past but my mum mainly looked after them as I was younger. I now have rabbits of my own and so obvioulsy want to give them the best care I can. I didn't know until coming on this forum that rabbits could eat the variety of food that they can. For instance I thought it was limited to just carrots and lettuce. I just ask these questions to make sure that I am giving my boys and good and healthy diet and something that they will also enjoy. As for the treats and things, I am amazed at the stuff that is on offer at pet shops and look to replicate these in a more natural way if I can. So there it is. Sorry. :(

BugBabe - Don’t be sorry, I think is good that you question what to feed your rabbit. It’s healthy for your rabbit to have different things – my vet agreed with this. However I do accept that not all rabbits can eat anything but what they are use to, and in that case they shouldn’t. But I think that’s if your rabbits can try new things then they should (in small bits). Rabbit can eat a lot more then what the "rules" state they can eat. I have always gotten to know my own rabbit beyond the fact that his a rabbit, and learnt what he likes and dislikes. My dog (living with my mum) eats liver (people food) in fact he only eats people food and his over 20 years old. I think its good to demonstrate but I accept why people would disagree, as all rabbits are different.

I think Andi has been sniffing Boscov's litter tray too much :lol: I think asking about certain fruits is a fair question if you had asked about feeding candied orange or orange lollipops than we might have been a bit shocked!

I try and feed a variety of fruit and veg from what I can get in the supermarket, from my garden and from the local markets. I usually check the lists posted all over the place saying what is and isn't safe. I have found Zeus munching many a time on supposidly unsafe plants and he has been fine, one day I gave him banana from the safe list and he nearly died. You have to try these things as it would be dull if they only got hay all day and they would miss out on a few key vitamins.

I think Andi's main point is processed foods should be avoided where ever possible as they often contain high levels of sugar and salt which are bad for us let alone the bunnys :roll: :wink:

Caz

Aye. To clarify a little, this isn't directed at anyone specifically, nor at anyone asking if a particular fruit or vegetable is suitable for rabbits. As Caz says, it's the processed stuff, and particularly sugary and salty things. I absolutely don't want to put anyone off asking if something is safe for their bunny.

One of our vets is constantly banging on that all that any rabbit needs to be fit, healthy and happy is grass and hay and water. I think that (while he's probably right, or at least not far off) there's nothing wrong with giving rabbits sensible quantities of vegetables and occasional small quantities of some fruit.

Actually, mostly I'm miffed that no-one replied to my "Marrow?" thread, because that one was set up for a fantastic funny. :( Anyone fancy humouring me on it? G'wan!

Oy! Cagney - just put down that popadom and finish off your basmati rice and Zac - you just make sure you finish your chicken madras - and you Buffy - just lay off the Lamb Balti for tonight eh!!

ooooooooooooooooooo - the result just doesn't bear thinking about :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an interesting thread :p I was surprised the other day when my extremely rabbit savvy vet recommended hay, water and pellets, with only very occasional veg. I told him that my rabbits get hardly any pellets, masses of hay and grasses, and a fair amount of veg each day. When I asked what his argument against veg was, it was that it contained 'moisture' :?: :?: :?:

I would be interested to hear how others feed their bunnies..... :)

Most of ours are on loads of good quality hay (usually timmothy), loads of veggies and hardly any pellets, except that some of the buns need more pellets to maintain weight ie. Shadey, Hutch and Starsky, all seem to have a high metabolic rate. I think it depends on the individual buns.

Sorry Andi I don't think anyone has tried feeding marrow to their rabbits - I am not a fan of the stuff myself :lol: I have tried marrow peel once when I used some to make soup - Zeus and Athena ignored it - is that enough lead up for your joke??

Did Boscov swallow a whole one then??

Caz

Oh the bunnies will be disappointed - they like nothing better than going out on a Saturday night for a carry-out and a couple of pints :lol: :lol:

Never mind, at least in the summer they will get their trip to the fun-fair for some candy floss (I'm sure that will okay for them) :!: :lol: :!:

I'm afraid in reality their diets are really a bit boring with hay, veg and pellets but I do try and arrange it very nicely in the dish :!:

lol PAm

I think you have a point there Pam....I don't know how to do those quotes in boxes, but what you said about arranging it nicely in the dish......I think presentation is everything with bunnies :D Another bunch of the same hay in a different basket and a new place suddenly creates a lot of interest....dried grass pulled out of a hanging thingy instead of being in a dish as well - or is it just my bunnies that are easily fooled :oops: :oops:

Not just your bunnies Violet prefers the hay straight out of the box and pushed inside a basket than the litter tray stuff (shh don't let her know it is the same stuff :wink: ).

Caz

Ok, I have a confession,

Beatrix occasionally eats chocolate. I know she shouldn't but she has a habit of begging and I do give into her from time to time. She will only eat Cadburys (fussy cow) not the bunny sort.

At Christmas time while I was at work, she opened a Christmas pressie which someone had bought for me and manage to eat her way through half a bar of fruit and nut (which I wasn't happy about). All this said my vet has said she is extremely healthy.

Lol!

Tree, you bunny obviously wants to be a human! Our choccie is probably alot tastier than bunns choc.

I have heard quite often dogs dont like doggie choc but love human stuff and thats meant to be not so good for them

Back