• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Brave and Beautiful Sparkles

Jaypot

Mama Doe
At 11.35pm last night our beloved Sparkles lost her fight against renal failure :cry: She had been ill for a long time but she had battled on and did her best to enjoy her life with her husbun Nici.

Our lives will never be the same again – Sparkles had been with us for 2 years and 4 months, not nearly long enough. She was 6 ½ years old.

Sparkles came from Freshfields rescue on Merseyside after being there for a long time – she had been one of 200 New Zealand Whites to have been rescued when a Lab closed down. We don’t know if anything had ever been done to our lovely girl but we do know that in the time she was here she was always happy and lived her life to the full.

Sparkles did not ask for much, fresh hay was her favorite along with lovely fresh veggies and herbs. She adored the mornings when all her litter trays and her dog beds would be changed – as soon as this had been done she would settle down for a good munch. Any new bale of hay always got offered to Sparkles first as if she ate it then we knew it would be good. Sparkles liked to go out in the garden on sunny days and she would gleam in the sunlight as she was so very white. Her and Nici got nicknamed the Persil buns – they where so stunning. She adored her condo and loved the bunny house – her and Nici where the first residents in there. Sparkles also loved to tease the other buns in the bunny house and would go to their condos and stretch up to annoy them – it was her way of playing with them. She loved to come into the house but she always wanted to go back to her home – she must have felt very safe and secure there as well as very happy. She had the funniest ears, she was a helicopter bun for all that she was a NZW! Her ears never went down or up – always out to the sides. She was very playful when she wanted to be and so cuddly, again when she wanted to be.

Sparkles became ill a few months ago and we have been monitoring her closely – we gave her so many cuddles that she was sick of them. We tried diet and different things but it was not to be – the renal failure was very advanced and one kidney had a swelling on it. We knew that the end was coming – she refused food and water and just sat hunched yesterday. We took her to the vet yesterday morning to see if we where doing right and if anything else could be done – nothing could :cry: The vet said that Sparkles would let us know when it was time and we thought that maybe a few more days? As the evening wore on she got worse and I sat with her cuddled on my chest – she was not aware of what was going on. She went to sleep and didn’t wake up – and she took what bits of heart we have left with her :cry:

We are so sorry that we couldn’t help you Sparkles, we are sorry that nothing was available that would have helped you live a longer life – believe us our darling, if there had been anything that we could have done then we would have. You gave us so much joy and laughter – those ears of yours had us smiling all the time and when you did the daft binkies we would be curled up with sore tummies from laughing – so you did it all the more just to make us laugh. We know that you are not in any pain or discomfort anymore – we know that you are better now and you are with the rest of the Hairy Mob who have gone before you – you are all catching up on the gossip and playing in the long lush grass. We promise you that we will care for Nici and watch over him – for as long as Nici wants to stay we will be beside him all the way and will protect him with our lives. You know how much we love you don’t you darling? You know how much we will miss you and that our lives will not be the same without our Sparkles in it.

We love you baby – we will always love you and we will always miss you. In the blink of an eye we will all be reunited again and we will laugh once more at those silly ears and that daft binky that only our precious Sparkles could do.

Run free in the eternal sunshine Darling Sparkles – tell our other babies that we love and miss them always.

Love from Mummy, Daddy, Nici and the rest of the Hairy Mob

Sparkles1842.jpg

[/img]
SparklesandNici16631.jpg

I am so very sorry for your loss, she sounded a wonderful bun who had a lovely life with you. Enjoy your memories of her, run free Sparkles.

Nicola xx

Oh Jay :cry: , she was beautiful and so lucky to have spent her remaining time with you all. She was so lucky to have her final sleep in your arms and you were very honoured to have that happen. Bless you.

I can't see the keyboard now and my clients are looking at me funny, need to go and wash my face ............

~ Binky free wee lass, take our love to the spirit buns ~

I' so sorry to hear about your loss, she really did seem a very happy bunny and i bet she loved very much for the great life you gave her

Sending you big hugs in this terrible time

I'm so sorry to hear that another one of your beautiful buns has gone over the bridge. She looks like she had the best ears ever.

Binky free Sparkles with all your bunny friends x

Oh Jay, I can't even begin to think how you must be feeling right now. Rest assured that Sparkles had the best quality of life ever and she gained as much from you as you obviously did from her.

Oh Jay, I amso sorry that you have lost another bunny, it must be so heartbreaking for you. Big hugs to you and John and all the other bunnies.

To echo HB "take our love to the spirit buns" - I really do find that so poignant! :cry:

Jay my poor darling...this is so hard...I too can hardly see for tears. You have described Sparkles life and antics so beautifully. What wonderful memories you will all have. You will always remember this and you gave her such a wonderful life. She will be looking down at you all and thanking you for the love and kindness she was given. Such a lovely bunny with such a big piece of your heart ':love:'

sparkles.

what awful news BUT she had a very happy life with you and gave you wonderful memories which will stay with you forever, I remember the appeals for homes for the 200 NZW at the time it was thought an impossible task to rehome so many bunnies, sparkles was lucky that she escaped from th lab and found sanctury... god bless from shan.

So sorry that another of your special bunnies has past over to the rainbow bridge.

Your story tugged at my heart strings aswell,l but I'm afraid that her piccy with those ears really amde me smile.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh Jay - I'm so sorry - I just don't know how you carry on you and John have had such a tough time of it of late.

Such a lovely tribute to Sparkles who must have really landed on her paws when you took her in and I bet she's looking down from the Bridge and saying "Thank you - Mum and Dad" - you did all you could and showed her how much you cared and loved her.

Thinking of you at this sad time.

That was such a lovely tribute to Sparkles and she souns like she was a lovely special bunny who will forever hold a place in your heart.

I know that you are having a really bad time just now but I bet the bunnies are having a right good natter at the Bridge and saying what a wonderful mum and dad they had.

Hold on to all the wonderful memories you have.

lol Pam, Aggie, Twinkle, Pie & MAsh

Oh Jay and John :( this is such sad news :( I really feel for you both, what can I say that has'nt already been said. In my experience I always find that, sad events always seem to happen all at once, hopefully, as the spring months draw closer things will become much more brighter for you both and their will be new little ones just waiting for you to pick them up and take them home :)

My heart goes out to you both, Binky free little Sparkles

So sorry to hear about Sparkles Jay. That was a lovely piece you wrote. Hope things get better for you both soon.

Lots of hugs x x

So sorry to hear about Sparkles, she was a gorgeous bunny.
She had a wonderful life with you.

Back