• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
Mikey has been litter trained from about 12 wks old. However last night i noticed that he'd had an accident in the middle of his cage. Its not like him at all. Could it be an age thing - he's nearly one or could there be something wrong.

Mine only miss their litter tray occasionally and for the following reasons - 1) When Athena came along - Zeus sprayed her and "his" territory - has there been a new rabbit introduced or the smell of a new animal?
2) Athena won't go in a dirty litter tray, if it has more than two days old she won't use it - fussy little madam then deliberately squats down in the middle of their rug to make a statement I presume!
3) If they are suddenly frightened
4) They have been away from their litter tray too long and are so desperate they don't make it back (when Zeus has been on the sofa he sometimes can't hold it for long)
5) Sexually maturing males will spray to mark their territory (is Mikey done?)

1 is not old for a bunny so it is unlikely to be age causing him to miss unless by age you mean going into adolescence - it might simply be a one off accident. If it keeps happening or you notice constant dribbling (like he as no control) then it would be worth taking him in for a check up!

Caz

My rabbit was litter trained from 12weeks also. He always used a corner litter tray or always the same corner in his cage and atray outside. When he hit 1yr old he suddenly weed everywhere in his cage except the corner litter tray. I have since got him a much bigger cage and a bigger litter tray and now no accidents. I also tried using different litters in them.
Hope you sort you bunny out

how do you litter train? i have 2 x cages of 3 buns in each at 9 weeks old and they do it ever where but the litter tray?

I normally start mine ina smallish cage and put the litter tray in front of the water bottle so they drink and pee. I also move the tray if they decide that they want to use another corner.

You could also try collecting some of their droppings and putting them in the tray to start them off.

I was very impressed with Cosmos - it took him a day!

Everytime he peed on the lino (used as a floor to his pen) I mopped it up with a bit of tissue and put it in the litter tray, everytime he pooped I did the same. He started peeing on this straw mat so I got the hint and put that in his litter tray as well after that he pees there every time and today has started to poo there too! I think it helps if you put hay in the litter tray as they poo while munching!

Caz

Back