• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind bunny up date

manda

New Kit
Firstly; Thank you to every one that has tried to help. :) I got Mozy into a different vets today, and the news isn't good. For a start she has a white spot in her right eye and that can be treated, she has got an eye ointment that is called "Chloramphenicol eye Ointment BP1%" and some of the well known "Baytril 2.5%" Antibiotic by mouth. But the bad news is she has a slight head tilt and that as we all know isn't very nice. I am now hoping that it will go away in the next 10 days, that is when she has to go back, if it dosen't the kindest thing for her is to have her go to the happy bunny land. even if she had her eyes removed, she would still have the spinning in the head and it's making her feel sick all the time, not a nice thing to happen. I will be positive and think happy things till then.
Manda :cry:

If the anti-biotics don't work another thing that can cause head tilts is E.C. this also causes white lesions on the eyes. Treatment for this is a months course of pancur (usually used for worming). Blood tests can be done to check for it.

More info on EC here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

If her head tilt is mild and doesn't progress then she may not need to be put down. Sometimes a tilt remains after the ear infection has been cleared up. Unlesss she is showing signs of distress such as continual circling I know several people with bunnies that have tilt who live perfectly normal lives.

Tam

The vet did give her a good going over, talking to her I think we have both come to the same conclusion, her eyes move back an forth not just her head, and she does go around in circles, talking to the vet this is not good, I thought it was because she was with her mum and not being able to see I thought she was just looking for her, and the other vet agreed with me.
Manda :(

sorry to hear about Mozy :( give the medication a try and see how things go. I would mentioned to your vet what Tamsin has said, I think I would ask for the test for E.C. anyway because it can infect other rabbits (I think :? ) which would mean Mozy's mom needs to be checked too.

Fingers crossed for Mozy :)

I would certainly ask your vet about testing for EC as symptons include neurological problems (which can include eye movements) which are caused by lesions forming on the brain.

Combined with her having white lesions on her eyes it does sound a little suspicious.

Tam

Thank you Tamsin, I will definantly have a word with this vet about testing for E C, any thing just to have my little girl back on the road to recovery
Manda :)

I agree with Tamsin - I always seem to :lol: :lol: I would test for e.c.and consider a course of panacur if the test is positive.

Head tilt is very curable, although she may not be cured within 10 days. It may take a much longer course of baytril than that......I have dealt with head tilt and known of many many cases and the bunny got better with care and antibiotics. Yes, they do suffer from loss of balance, but if you pad the area they are in so as they don't injure themselves, keep them clean and give them regular access to food and water, they tend to do well. There are articles on this, and I will send them to you if you are interested.

Often, given time and patience, the bunny will recover and have no vestige of head tilt........I am sure that Jay has lots of experience of this as well :?:

Good luck :)

So sorry to hear this Manda....good vibes coming your way
swoon.gif

Back