• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond?!

Stacey

Young Bun
Now I bet this is one of the questions you get asked probably all the time, but Im just after some opinions and advice.

I am still 100% undecided as to getting another rabbit for my male rex. I have now found a potential rabbit which would be ideal and more then welcome by me and my boyfriend but the problem would be the rabbit, the one we are doing all this for! lol

He is a rex, coming up for a year old in Feb and we are worried about him getting lonely all day when we are at work. We know it is best to have a pair of rabbits to stop this happening and we are prepared to do all the work with the bonding and introductions, but I am worried it will all be in vain.

He can become quite territorial even though he is neutered and can be quite nippy with Neil both in and out of his cage. Does this sound like a rabbit who would like company of his own, or does he sound like a individual character who likes his own company?

My first thought always has to be Barney so I am just worried about getting him a girlfriend and him not really wanting one. Dont want to try and help and make the situation worse. Has anyone eles got stroppy buns who have accepted a new friend ok?

I dont know if anyone will be able to help, and Ive got a feeling my first post on here was about near enough the same topic! :roll: Im such a worrier I know.

I have a stroppy rabbit *she says hand waving in the air* Sugar growls and grambles like mad to my brother and sisters but with me she is ok (That was till yesturday when i was taking photos to put on here she nipped me and growled :shock: ) I have been trying to bond her with another female misty for the last month i think it is, at first there was alot of nipping and fur pulling out i would put them in the kitchen (neutrel terr) , but when i put them together in the bathroom (This is neutrel terr also) they were ok, misty sniffs sugar and jumps all over her sugar normally leaves her alone until misty gets to much, then she will nip her, i havent tried them in a hutch together yet i don't know if something nasty would happened if i did!!

I think the only way to tell was what I did with Zeus, I took him along to a rescue and the rescue tried some females in a run with him to see how he reacted - watching his desperation to make friends I knew it was the right thing to do (the problem for me was finding a female who wanted a big fella for a husband).

I took Violet along the other day to a rescue as I wanted to see if she would accept a girly mate, she didn't but it was obvious she quite fancied Cosmos when they met so he came home with us instead!

Obviously your rabbit needs to be neutered if he isn't already and then you can ring round a few of your local rescues to see if they run a speed dating service for rabbits.

Caz

About 18 months ago I got a female bun for Totti and it was horrendous, balls of fighting fur. Took me this long to a. pluck up the courage to try again and b. to decide if it really was worth it and would their lives be enhanced. The answer is emphatically yes. To see them so loved up and snuggly together now makes me wonder why I could have doubted it in the first place BUT it did take a very patient week to finally get them together.

Back