• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth Root Problems.

Toby

Banned
Apart from a runny eye what symptoms do rabbits have when they have a Tooth Root Problem? Both of Toby’s eyes are running now and I don’t know why. Again he doesn’t appear ill, he is his normal self-but with weepy eyes. The photo below in my siggy was only taken a few weeks ago (only one eye was running then) but the other eye runs on and off. I have been the vet 3-4 times about the problem and they can’t find anything wrong with him. They say his fine, but cannot do anything with his teeth as his to old. Could it be a Tooth Problem? Although his eating as normal, and not spitting food out at all. He hasn’t lost or gained weight either.

I am only using shredded paper so it looks like the wood shavings or hay/straw wasn't the problem. His only gained runny eye(s) over the past several months to a year.

One way to check his teeth is an xray, can work out abit expensive though. Has the vet looked in his mouth at his teeth?

Tam

I agree with Tamsin about the X-ray, but he would also need a sedative for this, which may be risky because of his age?

Some vets can carry out good inspections and some 'rasping' of the back teeth while the rabbit is conscious, although not all vets are happy to do this. Not all owners are either!

A good look at the back teeth may shed some light though......... :)

I agree with Tamsin about the X-ray, but he would also need a sedative for this, which may be risky because of his age?

Some vets can carry out good inspections and some 'rasping' of the back teeth while the rabbit is conscious, although not all vets are happy to do this. Not all owners are either!

Has the vet looked in his mouth at his teeth?

Two different vets have examined toby’s teeth. One vet said his teeth where a bit crooked but it’s hard to tell if they have always been like that or not. She asked me if he was eating ok, and if he starts spitting food out to come back and she would take them out. However his had no eating problems.

The second vet to examine his teeth just said due to his age he wasn’t going to touch his teeth due to his age – though he didn’t say anything was wrong with them.

Back