• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird (but entertaining!) behaviour

RussAb

Young Bun
Not worried about it or anything (unless I should be :? ) but as I get to know my new bunnies a bit more, I've noticed Abbie does a couple of strange things....just wondering if anyone knows why she's doing it? Giles doesn't do the same, so maybe it's nesting-related? But there isn't any fur lying around, so maybe it's summat else?!

1. When I give Abbie a bit of carrot when she's running free outside of her hutch (she doesn't generally do this when she's fed locked inside her hutch) she takes it and 'parades' with it for a couple of minutes before sitting down to eat it. Why's that :?:

2. They have 3 litter trays in their hutch. The one on the top floor, in their bedroom, is always completely emptied by Abbie of the litter/paper/hay I put in. She also occasionally empties one of the trays in the bottom floor. I thought I'd take the hint that they didn't want the litter tray in their bedroom, but they still used that corner to go to the toilet even without the tray there.

We once put a load of shredded paper in their bedroom for them to snuggle into when sleeping - she went immediately crazy and wouldn't stop until the bedroom was totally empty of paper, and it was lying all over the hutch - and all over Giles - it was actually really funny as he just sat there wondering what on earth she was doing to him :lol: :lol:

Is she just playing?! She is in those difficult teenage years i suppose.....

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Russell

My Anna does that kind of thing, if we fill their closed off area up with hay in their hutch she moves it everywhere else but in there! I try and make it cosey but no such luck! Same if I put piles of hay anywhere else in hutch she flattens it and moves it all over!!

The other 2 dont bother much with it but she is very funny when you see her rearranging everything. Maybe its bunny Feng shui

Zeus does the parading thing when I give them dried bread in their run. I always thought he ran about with it to keep it away from Athena and find somewhere "safe" to eat it.

Athena loves to pull all the hay out her litter tray and Zeus strips carboard from the inside of his boxes until they fall apart.

They love having a towel to rearrange - dig at and chew at too.

Caz

1. My girl, Petta does that, but her old boyfriend used to chase her for the food she had so I think she's trying to keep it away from Peter who sometimes chases her.

2. Mine do that, I think it's them digging/rearranging everything.

I must try putting shreeding paper with them as they enjoy ripping up the paper on the floor *hears the rips*

I think it stems from their desire to dig, especiely the does as they are the ones that do the digging in the wild. Many rabbits do this and its frustrating for us cos it looks a mess. The carrot bit i think is just glee at having something nice and showing off. val :lol:

Back