• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry VHD question again!!

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie Folks

Buffs went for her Myxi Booster yesterday and my normal Vet was off poorly.

The other practice Vet who saw us was brill too and spent some 25 mins talking to me and did Bunny MOT's on both Buffy and Cagney.

When I was talking to him I mentioned the VHD Vaccine and he personally feels that by choice he wouldn't vacinate House Bunnies for this as he feels its a particularly nasty vaccine and the statistics are unreliable for the real risk - particularly in the case of house bunns.

I think in my heart of hearts I will still have Buffs done but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one oh wise ones !- also one for Guru Adeleeeeeee!! - do you feel this is absolutely necessary when holiday boarding???

I just want to do whats best really??

Just to add also my usual Bunny Savy Vet does feel that its wise to vaccinate all bunnies for VHD.

I posted some info in this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2269

My vet knows my buns are all house rabbits and still recommends vaccinating for both because VHD is spread through contact and how do we really know an infected rabbit hasn't come into contact the with hay, litter, food, toys etc that we buy. Even going for a walk in the country then leaving the muddy boots by the back door could expose your bunny to the virus!

I don't risk it.

Caz

Yep, I don't see any difference in whether a rabbit is indoors or out on the chances of vhd. I think it especially important if you are in contant with other bunnies such as holiday boarding.

Tam

Cheers Caz and Tams

I think in my heart I know I'm doing the right thing in having the VHD jabs but when the stand- in Vet (as nice as he was - cooooooor comes to mind :love: ) suggested how nasty a vaccine it was it just made me think twice.

Buffs and Cagney have never had reactions to this injection - only Zac - which now I'm aware of it I can watch out for it next time.

So Buffy's booked for 2 weeks time - nooooooooo escape :lol: :lol:

Thanks for putting my mind at rest pals!

Hiya Lany
I could strangle your Vet for saying this...it really is essential that all rabbits have the VHD vaccine, as this Virus lives in the environment and can be carried on clothes for three month which have been washed!.
It is much more contagious that Myxomatosis and is spread like a Flu virus, and we all know how quickly that becomes an epidemic!.
Lany to reassure you, we have ALL the bunnies here vaccinated one a year, and you know most are 6 years plus.
Vets can give adrenalin if their is a reaction, but in over 500 plus vaccinations, we have never had a rabbit become ill post vaccine, just a bit quiet for a few days at worst.
It is important that two weeks is given between VHD and Myxo. vaccines, but we actually leave two months between!.
We do not vaccinate very frail rabbits, or those that are unwell at the time of vaccine.

If you are visiting Vets, Pet shops or any other place where there are rabbits, your rabbit is at risk.
I know that with the option of leaving a rabbit unvaccinated and 100% chance of Death (or close to that statistic), or vaccinating and a very low risk of side affects (which rabbits usually survive with a bit of TLC) there is really no other viable alternative.
I do accept rabbits here unvaccinated against VHD IF there is Vet evidence that it is NOT in the rabbits interest to have the vaccine (ie, as side affectes have developed after previous vaccination), or the rabbit is elderly and frail.

i could strangle your vet for saying that too.

Vaccines are nasty for all animals and humans alike, but feeling a bit ill for a few days is much better than dying horribly!!

My two buns almost NEVER leave the house, and I live in central london so the risk of VHD or Myxi are so very low but they still have it done every year. Bad reactions are v rare, and as Adele said, there are ways to deal with this shoudl it happen.

try not to worry, you're doing the right thing.

Bev

Thanks Adele and Bevbunny

I guess its no wonder that mere bunny owners like me get so confused when your given differing advice by two Vets and at the same practice - you'd think they'd have a unified stance really.

Everything you've all said makes real good sense so no worries I'll put this one to bed and all the Lany Household bunsters will be in for their usual jabs!

Thanks again all for your advice and reassurance.

Brian hasn't had his vhd, the rescue I got him from was not convinced of it's necessity.
So I have the same dilema as you Lany, esp. as Blueberry had a reaction, although no doubt he'll have it after his next myxi (which is soon)

Hi Beck

I think its good to re-visit things any how and just get second opinions as to wether as a Bunny Mum your doing the right thing - especially as info generally tends to change.

Zac has been my only bunster ever to have a reaction to the injection - just a slight limp for a couple of days - again the good folks on here recognised this as a possible reaction to the injection and put my worries at bay - on Saturday I mentioned this to the "stand in" Vet that I saw and he said that he had never come across this before. In defence you can easily see perhaps how some reactions never get back to the Vets anyhow which is why this Forum is brill.

Even though Zac had this slight reaction I'll still have him vaccinated now I understand better how the Virus is spread - were in a high wild bunny population area also - not that my bunnies come into contact with them as they are house bunns but I do walk though wild bunny fields etc so I think its much better to be safe than sorry - I'd never forgive myself if they got this virus and I hadn't vaccinated.

Beck - on the plus side - like me, if you know your bunny has a reaction to this vaccine then at least you can mention it to the Vets in prepartion and Adele - the Oracle - gives some additional advice re this area.

Good luck with the Lovely Brian.

Back