• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French Lops

sarattie

Alpha Buck
Hi Im interested in French Lops and wondered who else on here has one? Ive heard a bit about Bertie from my last post...

I would have him as a house rabbit (i wouldn't have anything else now!) and have plenty of room.

Has anyone got any pictures of F'Lops or personal experiences that might help me out?

thanks

Mubby (Nic) knows quite a bit about french lops and always has loads of pics to share! Wee Mubby isn't going to be wee for that much longer ;)!

Caz

Thanks

I have seen Mubbys web site and simply fallen in love!!

Looking at cages for sleep times (other times of day he would be free range)

what do people think to this or is it a bit small ?
MW-157.jpg

I had a french lop and he was fantastic. One thing about them is most things you can buy are too small, tunnels and cages etc but they are fanastic rabbits anyway. Brad was laid back and loved tipping over ginger beer cans whenever he could and licked the carpet where it had spilled for days after. They are not the sort of bunny you can really carry round much, as they are really heavy and prefer the ground. Once you get an upeared mongrel bunny as i did you realise that french lops hearing isnt good and with brad his eyesight wasnt up to much either. Very special bunnies definately my favourite. I dont know whether Brad was typical of his breed but all of the above was true of him.

105_0598.jpg

105_0535.jpg

Its hard to tell from the picture, what dimensions is it? Dog crates come in various sizes :)

Hi,

I have just got a lop eared bunny from PAH saw him in a tiny cage and rescued him - he is not as big as a french lop - but if anyone is interested he is going to my friends rescue today, and he will be neutered and vaccinated next week.

He is so adorable, breaks my heart to see him go, but no room, he is cuddly, follows you around, and once he has been neutered he will be even calmer.

He would make the perfect house bunny and absolutely adores humans

Carole

It that is 3ft long than it is probably not big enough as it won't give him much room to move about unless it is for sleeping/peeing in only.

Love the way Brad blended in with your carpet Emilou - bet you had to be careful you didn't trip over him!

Caz

I have got a French Lop cross (looks almost identical to Brad in this thread) and he is in a 5' cage with his girlie... I think that is probably about the minimum for a rabbit of this size. Vera

French Lop breeders always suggest a 5' (60in) to 6' (72in) hutch for a French Lop.
These are big bunnies that can get to 15lbs + and as big as a .... hmm... corgi dog perhaps - the only thing I can liken them to size-wise.
They will eat about 2 bowls of food a day and don't forget the poops that they will produce eating this much food.
I'm no Frenchie expert but I am 15 and 5'8" tall, but I have a problem lifting these at shows, so not best for a beginner.
Not trying to sound negative you just need to be sure you can take on such a big bunny.
Maybe Cheryl (BunnyBoarding) can give you more advice as she has these...;)
Rachel

If you can't find a large enough crate then the other thing to do if by two of the 3' ones and put them together, then you have one nice big cage.

Have you met a french lop before? If not it might be an idea to before buying the equipment that way you'll get a better idea of the real size. Its difficult to tell from weights or photos exactly how big a bun is when you actually meet them.

You might find a local rescue has one or there could be a breeder or a show in your area you couldd visit.

Tam

Hi 'Bunnyboarding-French-Lop-expert' here! :lol: :oops:

Well i would say absolute minimum of 4ft for overnight stay cage only (ie will be out & about a lot during the day). Always aim for more space if you can. I preferred mine in cages of 6ft, although had 4ft or 5ft cages for younger ones or ones that came out more for exercise during the day.

The height IMO should be minimum 2ft high as they are tall when standing on their hind legs & also it provides better air circulation during warmer weather as they tend to suffer from the heat more than most breeds.

Depth should be minimum of 2ft, but you would not want more than 2.5ft because of what Rachel says; they are big & heavy to lift out & the deeper the cage the trickier it gets (especially if you get a stubborn one! :D)

However if you are having a dog cage then height & depth are usually ideal as designed for dogs (obviously err hum :wink: ). Its just the length you want to look out for.

PS you will need big & heavy bowls too as they tend to lift them up or shunt them around the cage (bit like weight-lifting!). I used to use heavy china dog bowls or casserole dishes (which I have an abundance of left over from when i used to show Frenchies if anyone wants cheap bowls)

Have fun!!

Andi said:
Boscov has a 4' by 2.5' dog crate for overnight. He gets to play out all evening and all day at weekends.

Though mostly he just sleeps. The crate is long enough for him to stretch out in, and when we let him out he has about a five minute binky session and then goes right back to sleep again.

He's a bit on the small size for a Frenchie, but he's still heavy. And lazy. And he farts like a trooper.

Bertie said:
He's a bit on the small size for a Frenchie, but he's still heavy. And lazy. And he farts like a trooper.

Are you sure that isn't Andi farting and blaming it on poor innocent Boscov??

Caz :lol:

I wouldn't put it past him. But there has been the odd grunting noise emanating from Boscov as he rolls over, followed by the inevitable cabbagy whiff. These are the things they never warn you about in the bunny books.

Back