• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on rabbits being 'neighbours'

Shula

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I adopted a lovely bunny from my local rescue centre in the hope that he would bond with my existing very elderly pair of house rabbits. It doesn't look like the rather frail male from my original pair is going to accept the new boy (I won't do the long 'bonding attempts' story here!), so I'm wondering whether I should return the newest arrival to the rescue, or whether to have them live as 'neighbours' in my flat.

I adore the new bunny and it would break my heart to return him, but I'm trying to think what would be best for him: he is desperate to be friends with my other pair, and, when it's his turn to have free range of the flat he spends a lot of time lying down next to the baby gate that separates him from them. He is only two years old and is very chilled out so I think he would have an excellent chance of going to a home where he can live with a bunny friend of his own. He gets a lot of fuss and love from me, but of course that isn't a replacement for bunny friends.

I've updated the rescue on the situation, and they are happy for me to do either.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience to share - I just don't want to let him down.

Apologies for brief reply. IMO it would be better for the Buck to go back to the Rescue so he can be homed to live with another Rabbit

Back