• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Did anyone have any idea what this is?

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry another health help post from me!

And I guess a warning that some might find these pics not very nice to look at.

Back story: Imogen had a dental on Monday. She took a while to start eating properly again but did finally on Wednesday. I noticed she was still moving gingerly though, thought it was maybe the after effects from the anaesthetic.

However just noticed she’s been grooming under her chest a lot so had a look and found this!

14a03630bde958d5847306c64f0b4d25.jpeg

8544c7cc3f84be15d27a3042c214b3da.jpeg

Obviously I will be calling the vets first thing tomorrow but I’m trying to make sense of what this might be but I have absolutely no idea. It almost looks like a large blister. The edges look very sore. It looks wet but I’m not sure if that’s where she’s been grooming it.

She is eating well and moving ok albeit finding certain movements awkward. She’s struggling to jump in her litter tray but jumping up to her bed seems fine but not finding jumping down so easy. Going to swap out the tray for one with a lower side.

Sorry I am not really much help - I don't really know what this could be but I would be very much guided by your gut feeling for Imogen. It is the best instinct we all have and rarely lets us down. So I am certainly supportive that you are seeing your vet tomorrow. I can't really give you much help but will be following for an update. You are doing everything correctly that I can see by monitoring the wound site and Imogens body language. Try where possible to keep it clean - which you seem to be, and dry with just very simple non invasive practice. I wouldn't put cream or anything there until your vet does a thorough analysis.
Sending loads of vibes for Imogen and hope to read an update tomorrow after the vet trip. xx

Thank you for your wise words Craig, my confidence has taken quite a knock lately, especially in regard to bunnies.

I don’t have any experience of this but I wonder if she has pulled out her fur herself by overgrooming? I’m sure the vet will be able to advise. Sending hugs xx

So having spoken with the vets I am happy to leave things for a while as there are no appointments today and our preferred vets aren’t available until next week, she is eating well and apart from not really wanting to jump down from things she’s moving around as normal. So I’ve removed things she might jump up to and given her a low sided litter tray.

I don’t have any experience of this but I wonder if she has pulled out her fur herself by overgrooming? I’m sure the vet will be able to advise. Sending hugs xx

Could be, she’s been grooming a lot but not sure if it’s cause or effect!

Moist dermatitis.

Was she drooling due to her dental problems ?

Does she drink from a bowl ?

She was drooling a lot, yes, it was the only sign something was wrong as she was eating fine. It’s stopped now and has dried up. She does have a bowl, I have tried her with a bottle but she ignores it. This seems to be further down than where that wet fur was, it’s like it’s under her armpit. She has lost some fur directly under her cheeks, but the skin there is more dry and flaky and not sore.

So having spoken with the vets I am happy to leave things for a while as there are no appointments today and our preferred vets aren’t available until next week, she is eating well and apart from not really wanting to jump down from things she’s moving around as normal. So I’ve removed things she might jump up to and given her a low sided litter tray.

Could be, she’s been grooming a lot but not sure if it’s cause or effect!

She was drooling a lot, yes, it was the only sign something was wrong as she was eating fine. It’s stopped now and has dried up. She does have a bowl, I have tried her with a bottle but she ignores it. This seems to be further down than where that wet fur was, it’s like it’s under her armpit. She has lost some fur directly under her cheeks, but the skin there is more dry and flaky and not sore.

She may have been fur pulling as a pain response prior to her Dental

I guess ringworm is another possibility

She may have been fur pulling as a pain response prior to her Dental

I guess ringworm is another possibility

Gosh I hope it’s not ringworm :mrgreen: would that be itchy?

Fur pulling response to pain would make sense, poor thing. I’m surprised I didn’t notice it earlier but then I was probably more focused on the matts under her chin.

Gosh I hope it’s not ringworm :mrgreen: would that be itchy?

Fur pulling response to pain would make sense, poor thing. I’m surprised I didn’t notice it earlier but then I was probably more focused on the matts under her chin.

Ringworm can be itchy.

After having another look today I think it’s some sort of fluid filled cyst or something which has popped. The skin is not flat and even if that makes sense. It looks better than yesterday and she seems more herself today too. Will find out Tuesday hopefully.

After having another look today I think it’s some sort of fluid filled cyst or something which has popped. The skin is not flat and even if that makes sense. It looks better than yesterday and she seems more herself today too. Will find out Tuesday hopefully.

How strange. I will be interested to hear what the Vet thinks x

So, it’s nothing to worry about. Phew. It’s a reaction to an injection site from the dental and is clearing up nicely.

Last update!

The scab has slowly got harder and the bit attached to the skin has slowly got smaller.

Today it finally came off. I think she helped it slightly. She’s definitely got more and more active as it’s improved so I think it was restricting her movement a bit.

Pic below for those interested in such things :lol:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-