• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothyhay.co.uk in boxes?

Graciee

Staff member
My order arrived in boxes not the usual white bags, anyone else had this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

My order arrived in boxes not the usual white bags, anyone else had this?

yes, not me but someone I know. My 2018 came in bag last week but I assume it was bagged in 2018

What you prefer - boxes or bags?

Yes mine did too.

There was a little thing on the website that said they were transitioning to boxes.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

yes, not me but someone I know. My 2018 came in bag last week but I assume it was bagged in 2018

What you prefer - boxes or bags?
Bags definitely, we'd ordered 10, so bags are easier to move tbh, like you can do a couple at a time, whereas it's slower moving the boxes

Mine came in a box last week. It is the 2020 Timothy Hay, which is actually really lovely hay. Possibly best ever!

I can't cope with boxes though. I'm not physically strong enough to lift 9kgs up on to a highish shelf in the rabbit shed. Also I would need some steps to take hay out of the top of the box as it is now close to the roof of the shed. Whereas the bag of hay is easily moved around and is ideal to place on its side on the shelf.

I looked on the website and thought I saw a mention of bags being used. I'll have to contact them and ask if it's a long term change, as if so I would need to change my hay supply.

Not very happy :(

Mine came in a box last week. It is the 2020 Timothy Hay, which is actually really lovely hay. Possibly best ever!

I can't cope with boxes though. I'm not physically strong enough to lift 9kgs up on to a highish shelf in the rabbit shed. Also I would need some steps to take hay out of the top of the box as it is now close to the roof of the shed. Whereas the bag of hay is easily moved around and is ideal to place on its side on the shelf.

I looked on the website and thought I saw a mention of bags being used. I'll have to contact them and ask if it's a long term change, as if so I would need to change my hay supply.

Not very happy :(

Yea, much prefer the bags too, much easier to use

If you contact them, could you let me know what they say, Idk if I'd switch but there's that other company that does the hay in smaller boxes which got a big thumbs up here so Idk what I'd do

Last edited:
I think you should all make mega fortes for your bunnies
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Unfortunately Apricot consumes cardboard and gets stasis every time pretty sure Clementine would take up residence in a box if we let her [emoji38]

I much prefer cardboard boxes like the hayboxclub as they stack easy and easily recycled. I am happy about the boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I much prefer cardboard boxes like the hayboxclub as they stack easy and easily recycled. I am happy about the boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not as comfortable to sit on though [emoji38]

I must admit I was glad to have hubby to lift it off the doorstep.

It's in the hall creating a bunny tunnel while i work out where to store it. We usually decant the bags into a big tub under the stairs but the box is too big to get in there to do that.

And the bunny cage blocks off the area so I can't get said tub out. My poor planning lol

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Can you not transfer the hay from box to bag?
That'd be like a lot of work tbh [emoji38] Idk if I could be bothered with that.

We just lost our last bag of hay unfortunately :( garage roof is leaking and it's got completely soaked, glad new ones arrived today, but annoying we lost a new hay :(

I emailed Gavin at timothyhay.co.uk asking whether the change was permanent and outlining the problems (for me) with boxes. I received a very quick response from Janice -

'Unfortunately we are unable to send out in sacks anymore.......... this
has been forced upon us by the courier company.

We added a message on the website about a week ago stating that we would
be phasing in the boxes and that by the 1st of Dec we would be sending
all hay in boxes .

We fought hard to try and persuade them to allow us to continue sending
in sacks but they insisted that the sack was now classed as a
non-conveyable and that postage would now be more than twice as much
which would make it not viable for us.

Every courier we contacted gave they same reply goods must now be sent
in boxes or they will occur a penalty.

Re storage......could you possibly transfer the hay into your old bags?
Most of the hay is tied with twine (like a small bale) so would be easy
to transfer.......there is only a small amount loose hay in the box
basically to get the box to the correct weight.'

I wonder if they could send it in smaller boxes? My haybox order is 15kg each time and comes in 3 boxes. It’s a little bulky but I like that the cardboard is at least recyclable.

I wonder if they could send it in smaller boxes? My haybox order is 15kg each time and comes in 3 boxes. It’s a little bulky but I like that the cardboard is at least recyclable.
Where I've moved to is weird, we have this reusable bag which isn't very big and only gets collected and emptied once every two weeks for paper and cardboard, so getting rid of a big box or more is actually gunna be really annoying [emoji38]

Where I've moved to is weird, we have this reusable bag which isn't very big and only gets collected and emptied once every two weeks for paper and cardboard, so getting rid of a big box or more is actually gunna be really annoying [emoji38]

do your council accept loose cardboard ie not in allotted bag. I just fold mine up & wedge behind the lamp post across the road on bin morning & its taken no probs. I have a lot of cardboard I have to recycle (business supplies) but have escaped having to have the appropriate bin (we have big green & small black at front of house as it is)

do your council accept loose cardboard ie not in allotted bag. I just fold mine up & wedge behind the lamp post across the road on bin morning & its taken no probs. I have a lot of cardboard I have to recycle (business supplies) but have escaped having to have the appropriate bin (we have big green & small black at front of house as it is)
Nope! And the bag has to be closed, which is annoying because it's a weird shape which makes it even less useful [emoji38]

Can you take it to a recycling place? We have recycling bins in the supermarket car park.

Yes, ours are the same. Unofficially I think it’s only a bin load but they have taken extra before.

Back