• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conscious nasal swab? UD: immune support supplements?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone's rabbit had a nasal swab done conscious? I've read in a BSAVA rabbit medicine book that a swab can be done conscious if the rabbit tolerates it. Jake has been diagnosed with pasturella in the past, he hasn't had any treatment since he was under a year old (now 6) and just occasionally sneezes. A few weeks ago he sounded snuffly and had quite a lot of thick, white nasal discharge. He's had 3 weeks baytril at a high dose but it hasn't improved, so he's booked in tomorrow morning for a swab (has been off baytril for 3 days) but the vets do it conscious. Jake is a good boy so will probably allow the swab, but I don't want to cause him unnecessary discomfort

Last edited:
Personally I would not want a Rabbit in my care to have it done conscious. It is unlikely the Rabbit would tolerate the swab going in deep enough and so any results are likely to be misleading

Personally I would not want a Rabbit in my care to have it done conscious. It is unlikely the Rabbit would tolerate the swab going in deep enough and so any results are likely to be misleading

Thank you, this is also my concern. Will discuss it tomorrow. Bigwig and Jasmine don't tolerate anything anywhere near their noses so they'd be no chance you'd get a swab from them and I'd imagine most rabbits :?

Thank you, this is also my concern. Will discuss it tomorrow. Bigwig and Jasmine don't tolerate anything anywhere near their noses so they'd be no chance you'd get a swab from them and I'd imagine most rabbits :?

I think any Rabbit would find it extremely traumatic x

I imagine it's a bit like the coronavirus swabs, need to go basically to the back of the internal nasal passages, and I wouldn't like that even knowing what it is :S

Yeah the swab goes 2-4cm into the nose, which if I remember was the instructions for coronavirus swab when I had it. actually thought the nose was fine, the tonsils much worse!! My partner is taking Jake this morning as I'm at work and we use a different vet for the rabbits so hopefully he'll call me if there's any issues but I know he will advocate for Jake

So he's had the swab done under sedation, results in a few days. The vet suggested getting a supplement for immune support, has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks Jane, I have some echinacea. I've also ordered some supplements made by Oxbow, not sure how good they are but he can have 1 as a treat a day anyway.

The swab results came back, they grew pseudomonas I'm sure the vet said. Is sensitive to baytril but we're trying septrin instead since high dose baytril didn't seem to have much effect

Thanks Jane, I have some echinacea. I've also ordered some supplements made by Oxbow, not sure how good they are but he can have 1 as a treat a day anyway.

The swab results came back, they grew pseudomonas I'm sure the vet said. Is sensitive to baytril but we're trying septrin instead since high dose baytril didn't seem to have much effect

Did the Vet mention the strain of Pseudomonas ? I thought most and probably all strains were now thought to be resistant to sulphonamide and TMP abx

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/32/11/1608/464214

:?

Did the Vet mention the strain of Pseudomonas ? I thought most and probably all strains were now thought to be resistant to sulphonamide and TMP abx

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/32/11/1608/464214

:?

She did but it was over the phone and I didn't catch it as I was scribbling stuff down too, I think she said Pseudomonas, I wasn't sure I didn't recognise the name so I was googling it after and found pseudomonas to be the closest thing to what I think she said. Definetely wasn't pasteurellosis. In the books I have which are all fairly modern it says sensitive to sulfratim, same as Idexx lab book :?

She did but it was over the phone and I didn't catch it as I was scribbling stuff down too, I think she said Pseudomonas, I wasn't sure I didn't recognise the name so I was googling it after and found pseudomonas to be the closest thing to what I think she said. Definetely wasn't pasteurellosis. In the books I have which are all fairly modern it says sensitive to sulfratim, same as Idexx lab book :?
Must be OK then :)

Must be OK then :)

I hope so! I think the only other alternative would be some kind of penicillin injections?? Will see how he goes! I'm having a mess of a time with antibiotics in general atm, at 8am and 8pm it's abx time in my house. I have Jake, Bigwig, Jack dog and myself taking them :lol: I've become resistant and it's terrible, constantly switching but that's another story!!

I hope so! I think the only other alternative would be some kind of penicillin injections?? Will see how he goes! I'm having a mess of a time with antibiotics in general atm, at 8am and 8pm it's abx time in my house. I have Jake, Bigwig, Jack dog and myself taking them :lol: I've become resistant and it's terrible, constantly switching but that's another story!!

Oh no :shock: Sounds as though you are having a really stressful time :(

lots of vibes for everybun. i hope you can get Jake sorted out. I use oxbow supplements but for joint support, I rate them . Some buns seems to find them a bit hard but easily solved with a soak in water

Thank you both, it is stressful atm! Yeah I was looking online for something with Vit C & D in etc and saw the Oxbow ones and recognised that they do joint support as a reputable and recommended supplement, and either way hopefully the buns will just be getting a treat even if the multi-vits aren't that great for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip about soaking :)

Back