• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stinky Hutch

BugBabe

Warren Scout
I just wondered, I don't normally notice this as my buns live outside in their hutch but we have them in at the moment after their little op. Anyway their hutch is cleaned out regularly and I use a cleaning spray (from the pet shop), I then line it with fresh newspaper and they hay lots of hay which is always renewed. I have noticed since they have been inside how much their hutch stinks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anna x

Is it a wooden hutch - I think they tend to be a bit smelly, no matter how well they are cleaned, as it sinks into the wood.

Do they toilet in one particular area of the hutch? - if so, you can get plastic litter trays, some which are very low/narrow, that might fit in nicely, be lined with newspaper, and will stop the urine soaking into the wood.

If its a plastic hutch, I'll rethink :wink:

Yes it is wood! The tend to do it all in the bed bit, which is a shame as I try and make it all snuggly for them and then they have a specific corner in their day bit.

try lining it with wood shavings as this is a good absorbend. i get all my stuff from a horse place and sell medicated stuff which means its anti viral but i get it cause it sells lovely
becky

Back