• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doe’s Necks

Toby

Banned
Why do Doe rabbits have like flabby necks? I am asking because my does I use to keep never had overly large ones but my auntie’s rabbits (Toby’s daughters) have huge like pouches on there necks. I have noticed that only female rabbits have this.

They are called dewlaps and when the rabbit is pregnant she rips fur from the dewlap and the belly to line the nest. my rabbit doesnt have one either, i assume is because shes neutured, hasnt had babies ever and isnt fat.

Ah, I guessed that’s what it might be for as that is what I told my auntie it was for…. but I was just guessing.

MY ONE GOT A MASSIVE ONE WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT BUT MOST OF IT HAS GONE NOW! NOW JUST LOOKS LIKE A SMALL DOUBLE CHIN..

BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT FEMALE MINI LOPS HAVE A MASSIVE DEWLAP, MY MOTHER HAS ONE THAT IS SO BIG SHE CANT CKEAN HERSELF THAT WELL, VET SAID THATS THE WAY SHE IS!!!!

I always thougth it was dependant on the breed, and wasn't sex specific??! My little girl bunny (Fern) doens't have one, but my little boy bunny (Charlie) does - he has a more dense coat than Fern, he's a blue otter lop and apparently has more hair per follicle than some breeds. (How true this is I don't know).
Perhaps he's just a confused bunny! :?

Yes as has been stated they are called Dewlaps and yes they pluck fur from them when they are having young.

However, they also double up as "doe cushions! :lol: :D :) LOL

Clare

they usually get them when the rabbit has been over fed and is a poggy bun cause some does that havnt got them because there not over weight but the ones that r over weight have got them and even after loosing weight some does dont tend to loose them
becky

Kim was a skinny wee thing but had a massive dewlap - I must admit it looked very comfy when she was all snuggled down.

It never bothered me but the people at the rescue where she was from said that they thought that was why she hadn't been rehomed - they thought it put people off :roll: :roll:

lol Pam

Athena had this huge one - I am suprised she didn't trip over it with her little legs - after spaying she has almost completely lost it!

Caz

Andi said:
bunnylove said:
MY MOTHER HAS ONE THAT IS SO BIG SHE CANT CKEAN HERSELF THAT WELL, VET SAID THATS THE WAY SHE IS!!!!

You take your mother to the vet? :shock:

:wink:

I had a giggle last night imagining her mum with a dewlap but too tired last night to comment!

Caz

I posted on here a about a month ago about my female doe Misty who had a massive chin which i thought was a dewlap!! Then one day it burst and turned out to be a big abscess!! :eek: None of us had noticed (including the vet) as Misty had always had a sort of chin since we had got her!! The abscess had been growing on top of the natural chin. It wasnt a pretty sight when it burst especially when we spent the next two weeks solid squeezing the puss out and cleaning out the hole twice a day!! (Sorry for the description!!) :shock: Anyway, unfortunately it wouldnt disappear after the two weeks so the vet thought it best to operate. During the examination they also discovered another abscess hidden on her windpipe and had to take that away too!!!
Poor thing- she really has been through it but is doing fine at the moment!! Hopefully that will be it now but we have to keep checking her to make sure that it doesnt fill up again!!!
The best thing which has come out of it now is the fact she is so much more happier and friendlier now!! (and bossier towards Barney, our male lop!!) :lol:

Back