• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cataracts?

Does anyone know anything about cataracts in rabbits?

I was giving Pie his check up this evening and noticd a tiny (pin *****) gret mark in his eye - at first I thought it was a bit of sleep but it is inside his eye. It looks like it could be a cataract starting.

I know that old bunnies and other similar type animals (gp's and egus) are prone to this but I can't seem to find anything about how it is treated.

Will phone vet for an appointment tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any info I could take with me so I was kind of prepared. I have had a look on various search engines but all I can find is how rabbits have been used in research for human treatments.

Pie is an elderly bun so I know he will have the same ailments that we all get as we gel older. He is very perky and hopping about no problem. Does anyone have any experience of this.

lol Pam

The only person I know with a blind or partly blind bun is Lizzie on here with her Bella.
Give her a shout she might be able to help or advise.

kimbun's mum said:

I was giving Pie his check up this evening and noticd a tiny (pin *****) gret mark in his eye - at first I thought it was a bit of sleep but it is inside his eye. It looks like it could be a cataract starting.

I know that old bunnies and other similar type animals (gp's and egus) are prone to this but I can't seem to find anything about how it is treated.

Will phone vet for an appointment tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any info I could take with me so I was kind of prepared. I have had a look on various search engines but all I can find is how rabbits have been used in research for human treatments.

Pie is an elderly bun so I know he will have the same ailments that we all get as we gel older. He is very perky and hopping about no problem. Does anyone have any experience of this.

lol Pam

Hi this sounds just like my oldest one (8) who like you describe, has a small dent on the middle of each eye...her eyes are slightly runny but I would also be interested to hear what your vet says - we can't find a rabbit friendle one round here so am just using a cream I have been advised to use and seeing if that works.

How about an Ulcer? I suppose it's a possibility? But like you say mine is also hopping about normally and eating etc.

kimbun's mum said:

lol Pam

Hi this sounds just like my oldest one (7) who like you describe, has a small dent on the middle of each eye...her eyes are slightly runny but I would also be interested to hear what your vet says - we can't find a rabbit friendle one round here so am just using a cream I have been advised to use and seeing if that works.

How about an Ulcer? I suppose it's a possibility? But like you say mine is also hopping about normally and eating etc.

Back