• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brushing Rexes

Stacey

Young Bun
Hiya Peeps :D

I have a male rex (Still trying to get him to sit still long enough to get a decdnt pic! :roll: ) who seems to be constantly moulting. I have tried with the damp cloth and running backwards and forwards but it only seems to get the surface hair off him. He has little tufts sticking out of fur which is unattached but still in the main body of the coat. I have been gently puling them out when stroking him but I was wondering if you can brush rexes?

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that brushing isnt really advised but wasnt sure. I have seen the combs/brushes for cats and they actually do one suitable for rabbits, with the small metal pin/hook things. Dont know if anyone knows what I am on about lol but if they do, would they be suitable to use on Barney?

I want him to look sleek and soft again, not as though he is falling apart at the seams! Any advice would be good :D

Stacey X

I use those types of cat moulting comb on my normal haired rabbits and they work very well, I tried it a bit on my new rex yesterday and it didn't really do much as the coat is so short. I ended up sitting and plucking for half an hour instead :? !

Caz

Smokey, my chin rex used to love getting a massage and this was an ideal way of getting loose fur out, specially if you dampened your hands first. I used an action like you do when you wash your hair and smooge it up in all directions and when I was finished, I would then brush him with a cat slicker with plastic bristles then a wipe down with a baby wipe to take off any remaining loose hair.

Caz: That is what I do now, the amount of fur I end up with in a ball after is unbelievable! Its just annoying as when he is running around he looks all tufty and scruffy bless him :lol:

BunnyHugger: I may give that a go, its not every day he looks really bad so I supose if I did that routine a couple of times a week it should help his coat. I will have a look for the plastic version of the slicker brush then, sounds like it may be better, does it work ok for you?

Towsbuns: I was thinking about one of those mitt things as I thought that would be the easiest option but I havent been able to find them anywhere to be honest. Maybe Im just not looking hard enough but I havent found one yet.

Thanks for the advice, I thought I would ask you lot as you always give good advice. I didnt want to start brushing him all the time in case it would damage his coat in some way.

Thanks again

Stacey X

Towsbuns said:
What about these rubber glove type grooming mitts - would they work do you think?

yep there brilliant!!! thats what i used on claude when he was having a major moult i got mine from the pound shop!

I was going to say I have seen those grooming gloves in mags that get put through my door like Betterware. A pound shop might be easier to locate though.

Caz

Do you know what they are called?

I cant really think what they look like................other then gloves of course! lol Do they have rubber raised bits on them then or like comb teeth?

If someone could help us out as to what exactly I am looking for that would be great

there called grooming mits,they have raised rubber bits on one side then like a shammy leather on the other

Thanks for that, very helpful! Now I cant go wrong, will just have to find somewhere that sells them. :D

Oh, I love the pic of Miffy in your signature, looks like one very laid back bunny! lol

Stacey said:
Thanks for that, very helpful! Now I cant go wrong, will just have to find somewhere that sells them. :D

Oh, I love the pic of Miffy in your signature, looks like one very laid back bunny! lol
She was laid back she was only about 10 weeks old in that pic,shes a nutter now!!!!!

hi,
i find with some rexes that when they get into a real heavy moult some r hard to get of again, for instance iv got a mini rex thats been a moult since june/july and still in it because one she finishes one she breaks into another. avoid keep brings him/her in and out if u do this.
becky

Back