• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fattening up a skinny bun

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I think Molly has lost weight although I didn't weigh her when I got her so can't tell. She is having the same food as she was at Aunty Sue's and is eating hay and there's plenty of poos. Her coat is shiny (she's sat on my knee as I type this and you can see how glossy it is). The poos are nice fibre filled ones, no slop. At 11 years old, I liken her to an elderly human as she ambles rather than leaps around. Could the skinnyness be due to her age, should I be concerned and can I give her anything to put a bit of meat on her old bones?. Is the dewlap a food store - she's got a fair sized dewlap.

Hiya

It may be that she is just losing a bit of weight as she gets older. I'd keep a record of her weight every day or couple of days, if it is dramatic I'd take her to the vet. If her poos are nice and solid you could up her dry food a bit to see if that helps. I wouldn't be too concerned at mo unless she is losing a lot of weight or is having trouble eating. Could it be she is doing more exercise and using more energy since coming to your house? The dewlap is always the last to go when a rabbit loses weight!

Nicola

Your lucky...

Count yourself lucky you have a bunny on the thin side.
My fawn, is the rabbits version of clinical obese.
She chewed through a box to get to chocolate digestives yesterday.
Im at the end of my tether, she eats anything!

I Think she smells chocolate from miles away?!

I have resorted to weighing out her food!
She is allowed no treats.

She used to live with 3 guinea pigs, and I think she felt like she had to eat quick or she wouldn't get any.
So I penned her up on her own.

She has a massive run, and seems to get plenty of exercise.
She is always running about.

I have been worried that she wasn't getting enough exercise,
so I let her have the run of the garden, every few days...
The problem is she goes straight for, food stored in the garage,
straight in the house in search of biscuits, cereal, peoples dinner, children with crisps, and worst of all the rubbish bin!

She's a nutter! Anyone would thing I don't feed her!
Any advice welcomed muchly.

Have you tried her with a treat ball? Gypsy has worked hers out and now has a portion of the pellets in there, it means it takes longer for her to eat them so occupies her longer.

Tam

nicolar said:
Hiya

It may be that she is just losing a bit of weight as she gets older. I'd keep a record of her weight every day or couple of days, if it is dramatic I'd take her to the vet. If her poos are nice and solid you could up her dry food a bit to see if that helps. I wouldn't be too concerned at mo unless she is losing a lot of weight or is having trouble eating. Could it be she is doing more exercise and using more energy since coming to your house? The dewlap is always the last to go when a rabbit loses weight!

Nicola
weighing this normally placid bun is not easy! I balanced the litter tray on the kitchen scales and noted how much that weighed. Then I put her in it - she wasn't having any of that and tried to get out, I haven't seen her move so quick before.

I had the same problem with Kim as she found it really difficult to put weight on despite eating like a horse.

I fed her hay, supa excel, some veg etc etc. Her poos were always fine.

The vet said that it was just that she didn't make the most of her food. :? :?

The only thing that did work for a wee while was the rabbit food that you can buy in the pet shops with the dried greens - I know that it is not the best for bunnies but for the purposes of putting weight on her it did work. I also used to giver her spinach which again I know can cause diarrhoea but in Kim's case it never.

funnily enough she always had a massive dewlap.

Hope this maybe helps.

lol Pam

For our underweight or elderly buns we usually give them a couple of raisins a day plus a couple of peanuts. Having one almond a day helps as well.
What kind of dry food is she on? I find that the Burgess Junior and Dwarf is the best to feed the buns that need to gain or maintian their weight - I still feed them Science Selective but they also get the Junior and Dwarf once a day.
Hope that Molly is alright - she looks so content :D

She's on Russell Rabbit mix which has the flaked peas in it and I notice they're the first to go. I'll try the odd raisin (don't want to upset the old dears digestive system at this stage) and yes, she seems very content. I don't think there's a more placid, soppy bunny on this planet - she loves her face snuggling up to yours. :love:

Denny said:
Try this Jill :D hope it helps :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=996&highlight=bunny+mash

As to the weighing problem, do you have some bathroom scales? if so, weigh yourself then pick Molly up and weigh both of you, deduct your weight should leave you with Molly's weight :D thats if she is ok with being pick up that is :wink:

Thanks Obi-Wan, have bookmarked the recipe link and will search out the ingredients... pumpkin, eye of newt etc. Re the weighing, my bathroom scales are not very accurate. In fact I keep moving them round the kitchen and get a different weight in different places :shock: obviously the true weight is the lightest :shock:

Back