• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

200+ Rabbits Need Homes - PTS Situation!

anon101

Banned
Sorry if this has already been posted I couldn't see it anywhere!

Forwarded from North West Rabbit Welfare newsletter:

The week of Christmas the sanctuary receieved a call from the RSPCA asking if we could help in anyway with a case of 200+ pet rabbits living in someone’s back garden – a truly extreme example of how things can very quickly get out of hand.
We managed to help 23 thanks to many people adopting and fostering the buns – if you are one of them – THANK YOU – you are a star.

There are still very many bunnies left and we are hopeful that we may be able to assist in finding more foster homes or permanent lodgings for them. Sadly it is a fact that those that can’t be helped will be PUT TO SLEEP.

This is by no means a form of blackmail for I believe we can only do what we can, but if you or like to foster or adopt one or more of these bunnies (many are young) then please will you get in touch with the sanctuary manager, Helena, who is co-ordinating all of this. I know no more than what I have told you.

Anyone who can help can telephone the sanctuary on 0161 9735318 or email Helena manager@sfaa.fslife.co.uk

Is their newsletter going again. It used to get sent to me to put a copy up on RR but I haven't heard from them in ages!

Do you have the email address to get on the news list again?

Tam

what's going on here! is this the same lot as the 47? shocking :evil:

200 neglected lives in your back yard. that's insain.

smallbrownfrog said:
what's going on here! is this the same lot as the 47? shocking :evil:

200 neglected lives in your back yard. that's insain.

not the same lot as the 47 are in Brighton and the 200 in the North West. Poor little mites, dread to think what conditions are like for them.

Reading from other forums I think there has been a few offers of fostering but apart from that I haven't heard anything else.

Louise

Can I please ask a question? If these are accidental litters from one pair, are there potential health problems as a result of the inbreeding?

can someone give me the addresses of these other forums, i am very interested in the ibformation onthese rabbits. no-one seems to talking about it...is that because it is a lost cause?

I think this is an update:

The Wilmslow Humane Society have contacted the RWA for help in rehoming over
two hundred cross bred rabbits. (Cheshire/Manchester area) Local residents
reported a neighbor to the RSPCA as there were over two hundred rabbits kept
in the most appalling conditions in one garden. Volunteers had to borow
ladders to reach rabbits in hutches that were stacked so high, that they
could not be reached. Many of the rabbits were kept in groups in tiny pens
and most were badly bitten and some of the females may be pregnant. 65 have
already been taken out and volunteers are hoping to take more at the
beginning of the week (commencing 10 January) If you can help in any way,
please contact Jane 01625 520802 or Caroline 07885 458583

Smallbrownfrog, there is also an email address too :)

ellepotter said:
Anyone who can help can telephone the sanctuary on 0161 9735318 or email Helena manager@sfaa.fslife.co.uk

Are you interested in fostering :?: Tree might be interested in this too :)

Jill, there probably will be health issues with these poor buns :( but the same risks are there with bunnies in petshops or in the local papers sadly :(

Its awful that these people have let this situation spiral well out of control :( I would love to know if this was their attempt at trying to make money by breeding or just plain stupidy :(

Smallbrownfrog, if you get any more info, will you post it please :)

Hiya

Only just noticed this post not been allowed on here much because work has bogged me down. I will e-mail them now, I can collect from Manchester not far from Wolves, let you know how I get on.

Hi again,

I have rung the sanctuary because I couldn't get through on the other numbers and said I would take ten, if they could provide me with hutches. They said they have had a massive response and they are taking details from everyone to call back at a later date.

I had a response from my e-mail, here it is:-

Hi ,
Thanks for thinking of us. We placed all the first batch we took (23) and are working on a second batch for some time next week, probably another 6-10. Other local rescues are helping too.
I think the distance is probably a bit much to contend with, though I don't want to seem ungrateful.
I also think the info people have received has been a little misleading, this is an RSPCA case and what I am doing is trying to take what we can at our sanctuary and locally, they are coordinating the case and the rehousing of the rabbits.
Also, I think people have been told the rabbits are going to be put down, which is not true, unless they get the green light to prosecute, in which case all the remaining rabbits would have to be removed and there would be a possibility some could be put down if there was nowhere for them to go, but the present tactic is to keep removing them as and when spaces become available.
Our sanctuary has strict rehoming criteria and will only pass rabbits on to people we have homechecked, so it would be up to the RSPCA direct to deal with people at a distance from us.
Thanks again for responding though,
Kind regards,
Helena

That is a good response you have received Tree. At least they will not be put to sleep.

I do hope the RSPCA do manage to get a conviction, fingers crossed :)

Its stories like these that make you realise just what kind of pressure rescues go through because of such stupid people letting things get out of control.

thanx for the update Tree :)

Denny, i would love to foster, i have spare hutches and everything! the problem is that i am moving back and forth from london to north yorkshire for the next few months, with possible time on site further north. i have an unpradictable job! while i am away my animals are looked after by my boyfriend. he will not take anything else on...so anyone else i house will have to go with me to yorkshire and be looked after by my mum while i am not there - which is weekends normally. this wouldn't be a problem exept i have no run in yorkshire at present. as you can see, not an ideal situation, however it is better than being put to sleep!

so i shall bide my time until i am not away as much, unless there are rabbits who need to be removed from their situation asap and for space in foster homes is urgently needed to save lives. :)

smallbrownfrog said:
unless there are rabbits who need to be removed from their situation asap and for space in foster homes is urgently needed to save lives. :)

I feel the same :) along with, I am sure very many more of us that would help in this kind of situation :)

Your job sounds very stressful :shock: hope things settle down a bit for you by the time summer arrives :wink: I think we could all do with some sunny summer lazy days in the garden :wink: :D

Back