• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

changing diet advise please!!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi i want to change my rabbits pellet from burgess excell to burgess lite on some advise from a member suggesting it may help solve the excess soft poo prob (sorry i cant spell the correct term)
my question is do you still have to do it gradually and on the packet of the lite its says to control weight, will he lose weight on it because i dont want him to, and he does not eat hay!!!!!

advise appreciated
thanks

The lite version of burgess has the same protein value as the standard but higher in fibre so it shouldn't effect his weight but give him more fibre to keep his tummy in better condition.

Unless a bun is elderly or a baby then the nutritional contents of the lite version are find and much the same as standard versions of other foods.

I would make the change gradually as it sounds like your bun is more prone to poo problems to start with and extra caution won't do any harm.

Remember you also need to look at the quantities of food your giving, try weighing out how much your currently feeding and compare that to the recommended amount on the pack.

Hay is also very important so is you can persuade you bun to eat some thats a big bonus. Have you tried different brands, hay has different tastes so although it might not eat one he may like another. Putting the hay near where he spends most time sitting can help and near his litter tray. Also encorporating it into toys for example stuffing tunnels with it or the willow balls.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Lots of people on here use Science Selective with great results - after reading this on here I switched from Excel to SS - I did this fairly gradually over the first couple of days but swapped them quite easily and without any problems.
The reason I changed was that the SS has a higher fibre content (which I understand the lite has too) - so if you are concerned about weight loss it may be worth looking into SS.

i would change to ss but its very hard to get hold of here!!! so i will try the lite first and see if that makes a difference.

tam i have tried everthing with this bun to get him to eat hay, it doesnt matter how i tart it up hes having none of it, the only good thing is i have got him eatting ready grass, is that ok?

Ready grass is probably better than hay as it has a higher nutritional value - the reason why I don't feed it all the time is the price :shock: hay is a cheaper more plentiful alternative (if your bunny likes it :roll:!

Caz

Not knowing all the details, but rosemary had this problem as when ever she was eating them she would still produce far more than needed, we took her to the vets and she had an infection, a weeks supply of antibiotics were given to us but it cleared up the problem in days, maybe she has this infection? just a thought.

hi chrisl
theres no infection he has been like it since i got him 4 moths ago, and been to the vets many times and they have never mentioned an infection...thanks

Where abouts in the country are you Bunnylove? I get my SS from Wyevale garden centres - there are several of those dotted around the country but they are not somewhere you would automatically think would stock decent rabbit food. Their website has a store locator.

hi both are still a bit of a trot, but thanks for looking i have found a pet shop that can otder it it

Back