• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this a scab?

Rodney has been to the vets twice in the last week. Once to check him over for fight injuries and once after stopping eating.

Both times he had a cut lip that was obvious although seperate injuries. After checking his cage over we sanded down some splinters where he had been nibbling behind a house. So sneaky!

The vet said he was bleeding as there was a drop of blood on the scales when he was weighed but she assumed from the lip as couldn't find anything else. His fur is very dense unfortunately so he is hard to check.

Hes on the usual regime for him of metacam, ranitidine and emeprid due to the not eating although this has perked up. Poo is not quite back to normal yet. His stress is very slowly reducing as we settle into a nice routine with Blossom here so could also be a factor.

When we were feeding him his meds this morning. During the man handling we discovered this. I'm wondering if we've found the scab that he was bleeding from. It definitely feels like one from my human experience.

I plan on sending the pic to the vet but not sure whether they'll look at it.

Does it look like a scab to you guys?
d1044ed712fce45284e6a7071adf0a3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yes, that is a scab. Does the tissue around it feel like a small lump ? It looks like a healing puncture wound and these are the most likely to abscessate . The wound healing on the surface but bacteria remaining in the wound underneath. That said it does not look infected, but it’s hard to be 100% certain just from a photo x

No lump more just feels like a dry crust. Initially I actually thought he had a hair matt with a bit of hay seed tangled.

Hes happy for me to touch apart from the being held bit.

I know abscesses in rabbits are a bit different but not actually seen one before. Would it be warmer to the touch like human ones are?

Or is it more a just solid lump I'm looking for?

Rabbit abscesses are quite hard. The pus in them isn't like other species (ie yellow gunge) - it is white and doesn't drain, sometimes referred to as 'cream cheese', but is more solid than that in my experience.

If it is just a scab, it shoud heal in a few days. If you can feel anything like a small pea under the skin, it may need a vet trip.

Brill thanks we'll check him again with his next doses and make sure.

Hubby felt it first and he's sure there was no lump but we'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks so much for the advice. Feels like I'm always asking these days.

We've had buns for four years now and still feel very much like novice parents.

Back