• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am thinking of taking in unwanted buns, need advice!

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hello I want to open some sort of mini sanctuary,

This site has inspired me into wanting to take in unwanted buns until they find new homes, I had a talk to my vet last night about medical cost implications and I am still quite sure this is what I want to do, but I need some advice from people that have done this.

If I do this it will take me a good six to eight months to get the facilities set up, I am thinking of having hutches in my garage for older more fragile buns and having a shed come run thingy in the garden for more social buns.

I've had a talk to carpenter blokey friends who are willing to build my shed/run, but please could someone advice me as to what dimensions I should be looking at and how many rabbits this would house? Also what kind of cost would I be looking at f r the initial outlay? I will be planning on getting all buns I have neutered and fully jab before they go out to new homes (I know the cost for this though) and I am aware I could have them in my care for years before they are rehomed.

I am not planning to go into anything with my eyes closed and would love some advice from people in the know.

Many thanks

Hiya Tree, well firstly I would like to commend you upon your idea, and I think you are very brave contemplating this as it is very time consuming and hard work.
The costs are high both financially, and practically with the time involved, but if you have a carpenter to hand then that will make a big difference :wink:
How big is your garden? How many rabbits do you wish to accommodate? You need to set a limit on the number of bunnies you will care for at any one time, else you will be inundated.
You also have to be aware of the planning permission rules, so you cannot have large sheds, perhaps several smaller ones would be better then you do not go over the planning permission allowance.
A 6ft by 8ft shed is a good basic size, and it is better to build units into the shed rather than have free standing hutches.
You would need to consider heating the sheds, which can be done cheaply and effectively with green house frost heater bars.
(I can email over the info for you re these if you PM me)
You need to contact your Council and tell them your plans, as although you do not require a license you have to inform them what you are doing so they can monitor you.
Plus waste disposal needs to be sorted..do you live in close proximity of other people, or have a detached house with land around it??
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a full picture so I can help as much as possible :D
If I can help any more, please do not hesitate to ask
Best wishes
Adele

Another thing you'll have to bear in mind is that people can sometimes be nasty when you are dealing with them, and some will 'dump' rabbits on you if they find out where you live. There was a lady in Edinburgh who's neighbours complained to the Environmental Health about the fact that she had so many rabbits and guinea pigs, 70 in total, some in the garage and the rest in hutches in a 30ftx15ft garden. She couldn't refuse when people asked her to take their bun, she was a soft touch. You have to be strong and know your limits. It's very hard, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes soul-destroying, often rewarding, can be more expensive than you think, and is very very time consuming. I wish you every success should you decide to go ahead, the more people who can help to save these little creatures, the better :thumb:

Hi Adele,

Thank you for your advice, I have pm'd you my e-mail and will try and answer a few of your questions. I am slightly concerned about the financial aspect. However I took the decision a few years back not to have any kids and as I am nearly 30 and an accountant I am not bad off and probably have more disposable income than some.

I am rubbish with measurements I couldn't tell you how big my garden is, it is quite a fair size and to be honest I never use it so it can be put to good use.

The number of bunnies I am unsure off, I guess I will have a better idea when the shed is in place and the units are in. I want to care for the ones I get in properly and I guess if you have too many than there is a danger that some won't get as much love as others.

Heating I've considered and will be able to get my family to donate to me greenhouse heaters, I was hoping to have some electricity put into the shed so I could have some heating lamps.

I haven't contacted the council yet (in fact I didn't know I had to) but I will give them a call. I will try and aim for a couple of 6 by 8 sheds, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have a semi-detached house the people next door have an outdoor aviary so if they complain it would be quite unfair.

Hi Lynda,

That could be a problem for me, because I am a soft touch and I do feel guilty incredibly easy.

Thanks for you help

Hey Tree :D :D

I know ive had a few nice comments on my babies from you, just wanted to say the sanc sounds such a good idea n i really hope it works out.

Plus, when do u reckon ud be up n running cos as u know i have 8 babies i need to find homes hehe. :wink:

What about offering to foster for a local rescue centre as a starting point. At least that way you would get an idea of how much time, effort, emotion and money it takes with the support of the rescue. If this works out and you want to go the whole hog and branch out on your own, at least you know what you would be letting yourself in for.

maryflynn said:
Hey Tree :D :D

I know ive had a few nice comments on my babies from you, just wanted to say the sanc sounds such a good idea n i really hope it works out.

Plus, when do u reckon ud be up n running cos as u know i have 8 babies i need to find homes hehe. :wink:

Ahhh Thank you, but I think they will be big bunnies before I get set up.

Towsbuns said:
What about offering to foster for a local rescue centre as a starting point. At least that way you would get an idea of how much time, effort, emotion and money it takes with the support of the rescue. If this works out and you want to go the whole hog and branch out on your own, at least you know what you would be letting yourself in for.

Hiya I've tried to do that, but without success. Wolverhampton RSPCA doesn't really exist, Lucy from Walsall said it wouldn't really be practical because of there is too much distance between us. I've tried ringing around a couple of local fosters to see if they need any help and they don't at present. I am just so desperate to get involved.

(to Lynda)PLEASE dont get debi started,she just said"at least i wouldnt go past 20 rescue buns!"and think she is now out measuring garden..............just incase she gets her way :lol: Bit like yerselfs(well esp oor Jim!) :D

Welllllllllllllll Lou, I could always do with fosterers :wink:

It's so difficult having to say no to people when they ask us to take their buns, all we can do is offer to advertise them on their behalf, it can get so depressing. 'Have to get them put to sleep then.......' is sometimes used by the person wanting us to take them, it breaks my heart but there's nothing I can do. There is a desparate need for something to be done with regards to educating pet shops and novice owners. We've had to turn down 4 adult and 7 baby rabbits so far since just before Christmas. We're already over our maximum and we have another coming in next weekend, poor thing is 6 years old and has just lost her lifetime partner, and she's a housebun :( Where does it all end..............

bunnyhuggger said:
Welllllllllllllll Lou, I could always do with fosterers :wink:
We've had to turn down 4 adult and 7 baby rabbits so far since just before Christmas. We're already over our maximum and we have another coming in next weekend, poor thing is 6 years old and has just lost her lifetime partner, and she's a housebun :( Where does it all end..............

Its criminal that there are so many unwanted buns so soon after Christmas.

fostering

We would be willing to foster one at a time using the spare hutch we have. Obviously not wanting to risk haggis & pickles health, as long as they were vaccinated etc etc & they wouldnt be let out at same time anyway.

But could take couples if their was a spare outside wendy house as we have a large back garden & they could be house buns during day in terms of re-homing as house buns to responsible people.

Let us know if we can help....I know as one isnt much but its better than it being put down.

Hi Tree,

Dont forget to underwire all run areas. Foxes are a huge problem where they know there will be rabbits & can dig under runs & get the rabbits out. They can also tear wire mesh so ensure it is thick gauge weldmesh.
Never underestimate the ability of a fox as so many people often do. Also fit bolts to all the hutch doors (although i'm told they can open these too if they really want)as they are better than the standard turn-catches.

when i started im glad i went for a large sed, dont forget you need room to work in it and perhaps a lift up table[24inc x24] for putting a bun on when you want to look at it properly its a great help. When you are done with it take away the bit of wood holding it up and it fall down flush with the wall of the shed. Should have said it a flap of woodhinged to a baton of wood attatched to the wall.Also think were you are going to put your supplies, once you have more than 2 or 3 its worth buying in bulk much cheeper , say hay by the bale 20k bags of food, it all takes space.rubbish is a big problem for me as i dont drive , i have 4 wheely bins but that is nowere near enough [ i have 80] lots has to go to the tip every week. My dustbin men are not good and dont like taking it so i cover the top of the bins with household wast so they dont no.We down in lindon may soon have a problem with the tip as they are refusing to have rabbit waste put in the compost bins cos they only wand green stuff, and now are moaning if they know its going in the household waste even though it is baged and tied [ whot is the world coming to?] Cage sizes i would recoment at least 4ft or more, A LITTLE SHED WILL NOT HOLD MANY BECAUSE YOU NEED SPACE TO CLEAN THEM OUT. i WOULD RECOMEND YOU PUT IT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE TO CLOSE TO THE HOUSE [ THERE ARE RULES ABOUT ANIMALS BEING TO CLOSE TO THE HOUSE, AND SHEDS]. TO APPEASE THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR THEGARDEN IS DIVIDED BY HIGH PLANTING AND AN ARCH IN THE MIDDLE WITH ROSES AND THINGS SO NOW THEY ONLY HAVE TO LOOK AT PLANTS NOT THE SHEDS. VAL. [SORRY ABOUT THE CHANGE IN WRITING WENT TO FAR BEFORE I NOTICED THE CAP LOCK WAS ON] VAL

Hiya Tree put Planning Permission regulations into Goggle and then you will find all the legal bits you need.
A large shed is fine but you will require planning permission first, but you can check this with your Council when you tell them your plans.
We opted for several small sheds in the sanctuary to avoid planning regulation problems.

Thank you everyone you are being a great help.

I spoke to the public health department at my local council yesterday, they were great, they explained all the pitfalls and they have given me the go ahead, but I've got to speak to the planning department on Tuesday with regards to the structure.

:thumb: Thats is great Tree, best of Luck with the planning department, I found our local Council to be very helpful :wink: :D
I have received your PM thank you, and will reply very soon :D

Just one thing. When I spoke to my vets about fostering she recommended that any new rabbits were kept away from yours and that you wash your hands and even change clothing between holding the rescues and your own rabbit. She did say this might be a bit extreme but as Zeus is pretty delicate and sems to pick up whatever is going she said I should be extra cautious. In the end I adopted again instead of fostered ;)!

Just wondering if rescues actually do this?

Oh and food storage etc must be in sealed metal or plastic bins to prevent unwanted rodents (they will check this), waste must also be stored in gnaw-proof containers as well if it doesn't go straight into a wheelie bin or something similar.

Caz

Back