• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eating normal poo

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
I’ve noticed that my 10 and a half year old bunny has started, on occasion, eating normal poos, which is slightly worrying. I provide him with unlimited Timothy hay, and a handful of both oat hay and readigrass a day. I also give him some veggies in the morning, and a tbsp of pellets in the evening. This is exactly the same food that his wifebun gets.

He’s been checked recently by my rabbit savvy vet (CJ Hall), and all was fine. So I’m a bit confused why he’s eating normal poos.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is he lacking nutrients?

Thanks in advance

X

Is he eating them in bulk or just nibbling at one or two? If it’s bulk maybe consult the vet but if it’s only a few I don’t see it can do any harm. If he was low on a nutrient it would most likely show in his demeanour such as lethargy, dull eyes, pale gums ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Boo do it & Frances Harcourt-Brown says she has seen her rabbits do it (she didn't know why but I was reassurred as I'm sure her bunnies wouldn't be lacking in nutrition & if there were a strong link to some health condition / reason I'm sure she'd have been on it). The only thing that is a slight concerns is some bunny blockages have been found to contain poop. I don't think theres anything you can do. Diet sounds tipperty top. Good to have had the vet check - I wasn't actually that responsible just discussed it at later consult

I've seen Boo do it & Frances Harcourt-Brown says she has seen her rabbits do it (she didn't know why but I was reassurred as I'm sure her bunnies wouldn't be lacking in nutrition & if there were a strong link to some health condition / reason I'm sure she'd have been on it). The only thing that is a slight concerns is some bunny blockages have been found to contain poop. I don't think theres anything you can do. Diet sounds tipperty top. Good to have had the vet check - I wasn't actually that responsible just discussed it at later consult
I had a rabbit do this, never found out why tho

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hi

Thanks for all of your responses, it’s reassuring to hear that my rabbit isn’t the only bunny eating normal poos. Although I don’t watch him all the time, from what I can see he only eats a couple occasionally. But obviously there’s nothing I can do about it, and it looks like it isn’t anything too serious

Thanks again.

Back