• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aggie is constipated - advice please

Hi,

just went in to check the bunnies for the night and noticed that Aggie has not done any poos at all today (either in her cage or in the room during playtime)- also she doesn't seem to have eaten as much hay as normal.

any advice????

she seems bright enough - I have checked her bott and can't see any blockages etc.

lol Pam

Do you feed a lot of fibre in her diet? What do you feed her on? How does her tummy feel? Has she eaten any of her food today?

Clare

No expert on this, but I'm sure ppl have said on here before that tummy rubs sometimes help! And perhaps a snuggle on a heat pad?

Hope she feels better soon, perhaps try and get her eating some yummy hay? I'd phone vet in mornin if still no poos, but sure u would do that anyway :)

Nicola

Aggie is just on hay, hay and more hay with a wee bit of greens at night.

I will try some tummy rubs and let her hop about a bit more.

I will phone the vet in the morning - Twinkle ws due to go for a check up so Aggie will come too.

lol Pam

Ps have just gone in and after a bit of a struggle I picked her up and gave her tummy some rubs - she wasn't wanting to be picked up at all. Her tummy feels fine but she is obviosuly not feeling too great/happy as she bit me when I rubbed her tum (she has never done that before). :( :(

Totti has had 2 bouts of gut statis and there were no other obvious symptoms other than no poos. Took him to the vets both times where he needed more than 1 injection of Metachlopromide. The vets felt his tum and said they could feel the poos in his tum - my untrained hands couldn't feel anything. I was told delays can be fatal so its good you're getting her to the Vets this morning. Let us know how you get on. p.s. I got some Kittymalt as a precautionary measure but trying to give it is hopeless. Its very sticky and I thought I'd sneak some on his pellets but the stuck pellets ended up on his fur, driving him nuts.

Jill, trying smearing the kittymalt on the front paw, don't rub it all in but just smear it onto the paw. Blobbing it on the paw will result in bunny flicking paw and blob going flying :lol: If you put a blob on your finger and offer it the buns will look at you as if you have just offered them poison. I got plenty of them looks last night while dosing some of them with kittymalt.

Angela

Ah bless her, she obv wasn't feeling great seeing as she bit you! I hope the tummy rub helped and the vet has worked his magic! How is she now?

Nicola x

when I got up this morning there was a nice pile of poos. I took her to the vet as a precaution and she got the all clear.

Thanks for all your advice - I have taken a note of it incase this happens again.

lol Pam

Back