• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit friendly vets in North London

Smudge

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :D

Do any of you know of a rabbit friendly vet in North London area?

Touch wood (touches wood :lol:) we haven't needed to go to one for any problems, it's just the vet we had Bailey 'done' with says he hardly treats rabbits (maybe 2 a year :shock: ) and although he did Bailey's operation well he seems a bit of a no nonsense type bloke who wouldn't be very understanding should they become ill.

This is the guy who said he doesn't think rabbits make good pets :roll:

Thanks in advance

Helen x

Hi,

I have the same problem, i have had two different vets due to moving house in 2003 but both tell me i shouldn't have my bunny 'done' as there is a high chance he would not survive the operation!!!! :!:

Only found out after coming on here that if it is a good vet and they use up to date practices then the risk is very low. :roll:

There does not seem to be many vets in my area and i wish i could find one i knew was good with rabbits but i don't even know anyone else with a rabbit so i can't even get a good recommendation :cry:

I desperately want to get Skip a girlfriend and although i have room for a seperate cage i doubt that a neutered female could get on well with a unneutered male :?: :?:

Oh Well :? I guess he will have to put up with me as a girlfriend :D

Where abouts in North London are you?

The vets I go to are located in Bucks and Middlesex, they are brill and I would highly recomend them :) but they may be too far from you!

Let me know

Nicola

Natalie where in Kent are you. A good way to find a vet for neutering is to go to one a rescue uses. That way the vet has had ALOT of experience with neutering :)

There are some rescues: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Kent

Give the nearest ones a call and ask them to recommend a vet. It will also give you a chance to ask about girlfriends ;)

Best wishes,
Tam

Hi there,

We (well the rabbits :lol: ) are located in the Enfield area, would be interested to know where abouts the Middlesex branch is nicolar :) Thanks for the reply and ifo :)

Might be worth asking the Mayhew who they use as they aren't far from Enfield. Anna (MightyMax) fosters for them so she might know.

Tam

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area but im afraid im no good at geography! :shock:
Anyway on another site i use there is a list of vets recommended by other rabbit people.
Dr. David Muge
Animals Are Us (Veterinary Surgery),
The Elms,
371a High St
Harlington (nr Heathrow)
Middlesex

Also surgery @ Feltham, Middlesex.

0208 897 0888

Dunno if thats any good or not

I'm from waltham abbey and i'm having the same problem i have a medivet near me but the dont really have much experience with small animals and they are really costly (They charged me £356 to clean my dogs ears out after mites and for ear drops!!!) I been taking my reptiles to a vet in cheshunt but still the same problem experience

Not much good at geography but think they may be too far from you :( The Middlesex branches are located in Uxbridge, Ickenham, Hayes End and South Ruislip, more West London than North! As I said geography aint brill lol. Their website if you or anybody else is interested is:

http://www.greenwoodvets.com/index.htm

Nicola

I've heard in the past that the medivet in Watford is good, if a little more expensive.

I'm lucky that our local vet is fairly clued up, but we are in Ealing in west London. I'm going to the Richmond Medivet on Saturday with Ron our toothless rabbit, as Anna (MightyMax) has recommended a certain vet there, but I guess thats way too far for you.

The RWA have a list but you have to be an RWA member to access it. The helpline is 01403 267658.

Hope this helps!

furball said:
I've heard in the past that the medivet in Watford is good, if a little more expensive.

Yep, Guy Carter. We took Jasper there for a dental once as they can do the back teeth without knocking the bun out. Jasper had snuffles so a full aneasthetic would have been very risky. They did a great job.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Natalie where in Kent are you. A good way to find a vet for neutering is to go to one a rescue uses. That way the vet has had ALOT of experience with neutering.

Hi,

I am just outside of Gravesend but work in Orpington area so a good vet in either of these would be great!! Maybe i will ring the local rescue centre and ask......good idea!!

Fingers crossed..... :)

Way out i'm afraid nicolar, it takes an hour to get to Milton Keynes on the train :lol: Thanks for your help though :)

Just dashing out now but will read all your replies later, didn't wanna seem rude and not reply more quickly!

Hi Smudge,

My two go to the Village vet Practice on Cannon Hill in Southgate so this is not far from Enfield for you.

They have always been very good, even down to sending me a card when one of my buns passed away which I thought was very thoughtful of them.

I have now moved to welwyn hertfordshire but will probarbly continue to take them to this vets even though it is not local to me now.

Hope this helps

Lol thought I was a bit out but thought I'd say anyway!!

I know how to get to places but not where they are in relation to each other!lol

Nicola

Back