• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How big will my terrible twosome get?!

RussAb

Young Bun
Firstly, here they are (Giles is on the left, Abbie on the right) chilling out, passing the time until they can beg and beg and beg for food, then nip my ankles when I take too long preparing it....

DSCF0164d.jpg

They were (separately) found on the streets of Bradford, so we don't know their age for sure. The rescue centre's best guess is that they were both probably born around April/May last year, and that Giles is a mini lop, and Abbie a dwarf lop.

My very crude attempt at weighing them suggests Abbie is about 1.75kgs, Giles 1.25kgs - is that a reasonable weight for 8 to 9 month old bunnies? Just wondering as comparing that to http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/breeds.asp suggests they're getting pretty close to full adult size - does that sound about right?!

Only reason I ask is that I'm trying to work out how much I should be feeding them. I think I overfed at first - a full bowl (100g) twice a day (didn't see any soft poos though). They now get half that and a few veggies - this seems to have encouraged them to eat a reasonable amount of hay.

How does all this sound - do I pass my bunny parenting probation period?! :lol:

Cheers

Russell

I would think 50g twice a day between them is about right. Their weights might vary abit from the breed standard as its unlikely they are 'pedigree' and even so buns vary. As long as they look/feel a healthy weight then don't panic. Its a good idea to keep a regular record though as then you know what their normal weight is incase you need that to compare against in the future.

I think your doing very well with your parenting, your just entering the teenage years so lots more fun to come :wink: :lol:

Best wishes,
Tamsin
Ps. You've raised a beautiful pair of bunnies, they look very happy!

A very cute pair and what you doing sounds pretty spot on to me (not that I am an expert!!)

Another Yorkshire person!! Hi there

arent dwarf lops and mini lops lops the same thing, also called german lop by some people?just wondering.

I think they are all different breeds according to the BRC, size (smallest first) = mini lop, dwarf lop, german lop, english lop, french lop (I think). German lops have broader shoulders and longer ears than dwarf lops, mini lops don't get as big as dwarf lops offically anyway! I tried to identify what sort of lop Athena was using the BRC website - gave up and called her a "pet shop lop"!!

Caz

WonderBunn said:
Another Yorkshire person!! Hi there
Yup - although perhaps I'm only an honorary Yorkshire lad as i was born a Yellowbelly!! Am I right in thinking I've seen a few folk from around this neck of the woods in the forum? I've got to know Julie (jredk04) via a chance encounter at the Bunny Camp Sanctuary.

Back